The latter one is now live on Amazon Fire TV, the "unconsole" announced today. At the last day of GDC we realized we have about 18 hours to wrap up Bit Brawlers to be ready for Amazon's console launch.
18 hours to...
- Implement the controller API
- Test if the controllers work
- The controllers were in Seattle
- Optimize the game for the actual console
- The devkit was in Seattle
- Submit it and get it passed through QA on first time
Oddly enough the easiest parts of this equation were getting the APIs to work, and optimize the game. And optimize the particle effects. Andrew Sandifer aka @2DHeroes did a fantastic job there and decided sleep was overrated.
The hardest part was actually getting the build up on Amazon, along with the trailer. Did you know that during GDC getting any 10mb+ files across anywhere is a nightmare? Apparently GDC just takes the city's connection down and it becomes next to impossible to upload anything.
Here's a behind the scenes I shot during our super secret stealth Amazon upload mission: