What's most important in a video game: a great look or a great story? The answer is both! Together, compelling narratives and gorgeous design create an unforgettable experience for the player. But how do you get writers and designers working together? Game writer, adjunct professor, and veteran advisor of the GDC Game Narrative Summit Susan O'Connor is here to bridge the gap and get everyone collaborating in her GDC Masterclass.
How to Bring Story and Gameplay Together is a two-day virtual workshop for writers, designers, and developers—really everyone who plays a role in creating a playable story. Using her decades of experience in the industry, Susan shares her set of best practices design to get writers and designers moving in the same direction. Combining teachings with a hands-on, interactive workshop, attendees can expect to walk away with the tools and experience needed to craft their best, most playable work to date.
This GDC Masterclass runs on September 29, 2021 and September 30, 2021, from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm PT (12:00pm to 4:00pm ET). Please note that it's being held virtually on both days, not in-person.
The following key elements will be covered in this class:
• Discover why and how to "create the right problems"
• Protecting your game from the “design versus narrative” breakdowns
• Get hands-on experience with a practical, step-by-step approach to story development
• Discover strategies for resolving tension between writers and designers
• Evaluate the tools other studios use to facilitate team communication
• Explore case studies from successful games for best practices
GDC 2022 is seeking submissions for GDC Summits, Game Career Seminar, and Masterclass. Core Concepts submissions are closed, but if you're interested sending in a late proposal for consideration you can head here for GDC contact information.
Game Developer and GDC are sibling organizations under Informa Tech.