Today, I will talk about the first deadline. Many people have been writing to us to ask about the progress of the game.
In fact, we don’t do it all in one sittingwithouttakingthetimetobreathortakeabreak ; ).
This is what we call the prototype. This barbaric sounding word represents the very essence of the game.
We have designed it with the most basic (integral) features. The creation of the prototype is a very complicated process that demands strict attention to priorities. We have to endow it with the bare minimum, as it will turn into the gameplay of the game, while still making it fun without the help of graphics. It requires a focus on the necessary and dismissal of all embellishments. You have to be able to feel the game’s potential.
Lots of professional projects don’t make it past this phase. People do not put into more money inside.
In our case, we ran into a considerable obstacle very early on. Kevin had to rewrite his code to make it more understandable and to optimize it. As a result, we got a bit behind and had to then catch up with our schedule. Our main difficulty was to put a method in place to build le levels of the game. Each one of our cubes has 6 sides that can either: have 5 different colors, a trap that blinks or doesn’t, movements, lasers, be destructible etc.
Up until now this involves each cube having one line with 31 parameters in a table x. This may seem like a very tedious task, but Kevin’s expertise has made it considerably easier.
We have other deadlines that have to do with more advanced developments in the game and graphics but there are still a few bugs. We will address the final version with everything working and everything pretty in future articles.