I have to admit that I did think China GDC was related to the GDC spoken of here when Yupeng_Tan popped up with a friend request on IGN... Not that it really influenced my decision to add one more IGN link in a vain attempt to get out of single-digit views. ;)
I meant to comment on Mary Jane Irwin's "Unlocking Achievements: Rewarding Skill With Player Incentives" earlier, but I was having login problems and I'm not sure about how the local netiquette defines posting late.
More specifically, I have a softer stance on the idea of rewarding failure or menial tasks. I like the idea of awarding completions of matches. Many games on BYOND are for multiple players. In my experience, and I know I'm not alone, one of the problems of playing online with people of varying maturity is that some will quit when they think they are losing. I think those who stick around regardless of the game results should be acknowledged.
It's not about an "everyone is special" mentality. It's about providing an environment for good sportsmanship. As a player, I don't care about what tricks another player managed to pull off. I want to know whether or not they can provide me with a fun experience in my game of choice. That is a badge I want to see on someone's profile. If one's obsessive greed for achievements can be turned into a force that benefits everyone, then so be it.
- Aixelsyd was unsure of what he should create next and asked the BYOND community for ideas. He ended up choosing Heavenly Flow's concept of a Western-themed RTS. The product, entitled simply Western, is being hosted as I write this. In it, players each lead 5 varying types of gunmen to capture 25 points on a map. The game is currently leaning more towards team-based action than what I would call strategy, but that might change.
- Geldonyetich is feeling motivated to work on something with BYOND. I don't know how much of his M.U.L.E.-inspired design will be implemented now that he has decided to start from scratch. I'm guessing that the game will feature a persistent world, but I'm unsure of how much focus will be on strategy instead of roleplay.
- A poll run by Fugsnarf selected Iccusion Entertainment as a "BYOND Conqueror". The result appears to be a small summary of the development group and a conversation Fugsnarf had with the team's leader, Aaiko.
Personally, I would have liked to have seen a more in-depth interview with questions like: What the frell happened to the developer journal they were keeping for their RTS, Fray?
- Troy1121 is planning on holding a tournament and running a poll to decide what game should be played. Up for nomination are Efencea, Fortay, and Plunder Gnome. The last of those isn't a strategy game, but it was created by BYOND Strategy's Bishop (and former King) IainPeregrine.
- I've been feeling bad about not nagging people enough the past few months. Fortunately, Lummox JR has put my mind at ease.
I can probably find both victory and solace in knowing that I have
become an annoying voice in someone's head which gets quoted to others.
BTW, Aixelsyd, remember to update Conqueror.
- I released an update for my abstract, competitive dungeon crawling game, GrimTunnel. The interface went through some changes which I hope are met with approval. (Screenshots can be found on the hub page.) However, I seem to be most proud of a gameplay change which should increase the ability for opponents to make predictions.