The Gamasutra Job Board is the most diverse, active and established board of its kind for the video game industry!
Here is just one of the many, many positions being advertised right now.
Location: Manchester, England
This is an exciting and rare opportunity to join an ambitious new studio to create original games exclusively for Project Morpheus, PlayStation's VR platform. Based in Manchester in the North West of England, we aim to build a small but highly experienced team who want to build great games to showcase this exciting new immersive technology.
We are looking for a generalist gameplay programmer; someone obsessed with delivering the highest quality playable experience. You will be skilled in creating controls, mechanics and systems that feel fluid and intuitive to learn, but have the depth and richness that keep players engaged for hours as they seek to master them. Having shipped several successful games, you will be excited by the prospect of applying your knowledge to emerging Virtual Reality technologies, keen to discover what works and what doesn’t in VR.
You will join the team early in pre-production so will have ample opportunity to make your mark on the title.
- Put the quality of the player experience first.
- Prototype quickly and efficiently to prove whether core gameplay is fun and has replay potential and variety.
- Iterate rapidly to improve quality and innovation.
- Have a clear, scalable approach to building then refining prototypes.
- Collaborate with the lead designer and the team to design & implement core gameplay systems, ensuring they are:
- Easy for the team to use and maintain
- Driven by feedback, both from inside the development team and from players.
- Refined and fine tuned using telemetry data from user tests.
- Support content creators with tools that allow them to shine, maximizing the productivity of the team as a whole.
- Adopt a helpful, solution-oriented attitude within the team.
- Maintain high quality code standards throughout development.
Skills and Experience
- You will have shipped at least 2 successful games in senior gameplay programming roles.
- You will have a thorough understanding of game development using agile project management methods.
- You will be an expert in in C and C++, with strong generalist programming and systems architecture skills.
- Console programming experience is essential, PlayStation 4 an advantage.
- Experience with middleware systems an advantage, e.g. Unreal Engine.
- You will be committed to code quality, documentation and sound testing procedures.
- Any specialist skills and interest in other areas would be an advantage (e.g. audio or networking).