The Gamasutra Job Board is the most diverse, active and established board of its kind for the video game industry!
Here is just one of the many, many positions
being advertised right now.Location: Irvine, CA
Are you a UNIX geek stuck in the body of a corporate IT drone? When you find a system performance problem do you reach for the kernel source code before google.com? Have you ever stumped third level support from a major Linux distribution vendor? Can you kickstart 50 servers at once while writing a Python script in another screen? Is your home PC a Linux machine with a RAID?
Do you have a passion to help Blizzard Entertainment games remain the best in the world?
If this sounds like you, read on...
Blizzard Entertainment is seeking a talented systems engineer to join our network operations engineering team. The ideal candidate has an intimate understanding of the deployment and tuning of multiple flavors of UNIX systems (particularly Linux), as well as software development skills to automate and improve processes in a large (10,000+) server infrastructure. The individual must also be able to work with little guidance, and be comfortable in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment.
- Design environments according to project requirements.
- Perform system performance tuning and administration.
- Research new technologies including software and hardware, based on business requirements.
- Manage and gather statistical trending data for capacity planning.
- Assist developers in implementing changes in non-production environments.
- Follow procedures identified by SOX and PCI standards.
- Document operational processes and procedures.
- Mentor system administrators and technicians.
- Participate in production support and in on-call duties.
- A minimum of 5 years’ system administration experience.
- Strong Linux administration background.
- Mastery of all aspects of system administration.
- Able to write scripts in some administrative language (Perl, Python, Shell).
- Experience with web and application services running Apache HTTPD and Tomcat in a load balanced environment.
- Strong performance troubleshooting skills.
- Cultivate working relationships with development, QA, DBAs, and other teams as required.
- Require minimal training and supervision.
- A degree in computer science or a related field.
- Significant programming background in any applicable language.
- Experience with EMC SAN technologies and VERITAS Storage Foundation software.
- Experience with supporting MySQL and Oracle.
- Able to do minimal debugging and modification of C programs.
- Able to play the lead role in projects.
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter which should include:
Why you are interested in working at Blizzard.
What games you are currently playing.
Interested? Get started here
. Are you a recruiter looking for talent? Post jobs here