Daily news, dev blogs, and stories from Game Developer straight to your inbox
Players can now immerse themselves in the role of an aspiring investigator trying to earn their license by unraveling the mystery behind various crime scenes. Can you solve them all?
October 24, 2023
3 Min Read
[This unedited press release is made available courtesy of Game Developer and its partnership with notable game PR-related resource Games Press]
EQ Studios |
California - October 24, 2023 - EQ Studios, the creators behind The Painscreek Killings, are excited to launch their newest investigative mystery game, Scene Investigators, available now on Steam for $24.99 USD. This game immerses players into deep investigations across 8.5 unique crime scenes. As budding detectives, players are tasked with deciphering each scenario.
In Scene Investigators, players will navigate meticulously reimagined crime scenes, sift through clues, speculate on motives, and employ logical thinking to piece together the real story. It's a perfect match for aficionados of detective cinema, true crime, escape room challenges, and anyone with a passion for cracking cases.
Watch the launch trailer for a teaser of some of the murder scenes:
In a near-future setting, you step into the shoes of an apprentice in pursuit of becoming a certified investigator who has been handed a compilation of intricate and puzzling reconstructed case files. To succeed, you must crack them using only your sharp observational skills, critical thinking, and intellectual prowess. Will you unravel every mystery?
Scene Investigators places a strong emphasis on observational acuity and deductive logic, pushing players to fill in elusive details, detect underlying motives, and formulate multiple viable theories to advance in their inquiries. While it shares thematic elements with The Painscreek Killings, this game pivots more towards pure deduction and less on narrative depth.
“True Crime” Detective Experience - Players must observe each scene carefully and analyze everything. They will take note of anything that stands out and write down suspicions as they navigate through the crime scenes. There are no hints or hand-holding, so they must use logic and intuition to solve each case.
Immersive Murder Mystery Puzzles - Piece everything together, not only to understand what happened but also the connection between the perpetrators and their victims. The only tools are keen perception, mental sharpness, and real-life wisdom.
70/30 Principle: Hypothesis Testing - Players may find that some evidence is missing, limiting them from making the best conclusion. There might be 70% of the evidence in the case, but the other 30% is nowhere to be found. This is where they have to fill in the missing gaps, trust gut feelings, and make smart, calculated assumptions.
Uncover Narrative Through the Environment - Notice the pink lipstick on the wine glass? What about the trajectory of the bullet on the wall? How about the faint size-12 boot marks on the windowsill? These are part of the environmental clues that can help piece the story together.
Collaborate with Friends - While this is a singleplayer game, the deduction gameplay is great for streaming to fans or couch co-op gaming.
Localized in 10 Languages - Players all over the world can experience the mystery in English, German, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Brazilian Portuguese, French, and Spanish (Spain).
About EQ Studios
EQ Studios is an independent game development studio based in Las Vegas, Nevada (USA), creating mystery investigation games with strong and engaging narratives.
The studio’s first game, 'The Painscreek Killings', achieved 91% positive rating on Steam. With its next game ‘Scene Investigators’ set to be released soon, the studio has started development on its next game project. For more information, visit https://eqstudios.com/
You May Also Like
Exploring the 2024 State of the Game Industry report - Game Developer Podcast ep. 39Feb 2, 2024
Phantom inspiration and the ethical auteur with Xalavier Nelson Jr.Dec 8, 2023
Designing Killer Queen: from playground experiment to modern arcade sensationOct 18, 2023
Rod Humble and King Choi illustrate the ambition of Life By YouSep 22, 2023
Get daily news, dev blogs, and stories from Game Developer straight to your inbox
Subscribe to Game Developer Newsletters to stay caught up with the latest news, design insights, marketing tips, and more