Daily news, dev blogs, and stories from Game Developer straight to your inbox
March 16, 2006
1 Min Read
British trade organization ELSPA (Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers Association) has revealed details of a major police operation against video game pirates, with twenty-nine suspects being arrested in the North of England. Merseyside and Lancashire police raided seventeen separate addresses in the Sefton and Skelmersdale areas of Liverpool, with a total of five major duplicating operations apparently being uncovered. The dawn raids involved more than 135 police, trading standards officers, BPI (British Phonographic Industry), FACT (Federation Against Copyright Theft) and ELSPA operatives and follows a six month investigation into governmental benefit fraud and the connected creation, supply and distribution of counterfeit CDs, DVDs and video games. ELSPA claim that around 70 percent of the pirated goods were sold in Liverpool’s Stanley Dock and Walton Market areas, with the remaining 30 percent going to smaller businesses and market stalls in the Liverpool area. The arrests follow a number of regional crackdowns on copyright piracy in the UK, with ELSPA recently helping to ensure a 15 month jail sentence for a pirate in the East Midlands of England, as well as other arrests around the country.
About the Author(s)
David Jenkins ([email protected]) is a freelance writer and journalist working in the UK. As well as being a regular news contributor to Gamasutra.com, he also writes for newsstand magazines Cube, Games TM and Edge, in addition to working for companies including BBC Worldwide, Disney, Amazon and Telewest.
You May Also Like
Exploring the 2024 State of the Game Industry report - Game Developer Podcast ep. 39Feb 2, 2024
Phantom inspiration and the ethical auteur with Xalavier Nelson Jr.Dec 8, 2023
Designing Killer Queen: from playground experiment to modern arcade sensationOct 18, 2023
Rod Humble and King Choi illustrate the ambition of Life By YouSep 22, 2023
Get daily news, dev blogs, and stories from Game Developer straight to your inbox
Subscribe to Game Developer Newsletters to stay caught up with the latest news, design insights, marketing tips, and more