Gamasutra highlights choice quotes from game industry figures from the past week, including Deadly Premonition's Hidetaka Sueherio, Medal of Honor's Kristoffer Bergqvist, and many others.
In our original and exclusive interviews, analysis, and feature pieces over the past week, a wide variety of developers, publishers, and indies shared their thoughts on memorable characters, Apple's new iPad Mini, how immersion gets thrown out the window in multiplayer modes, and more.
This Week's Noteworthy Game Industry Quotes
"You don't want to be making games for a service that people don't know about after all, or one that is buried too deep in menus."
- Tikipod's Dugan Jackson explains why constant promotion for PS Mobile will be key to the platform's -- and developers' -- success
"Games happen. They happen largely in the minds of players and not in the things we give them, so you kind of have to let go and stop worrying."
- Indie developer and Santa Ragione co-founder Pietro Righi Riva (Fotonica)
"In an industry as volatile as video games, it's impossible to put your hand on your heart and say to any of your developers that their job is going to be secure for the next five or 10 years."
- Tantalus CEO Tom Crago (Mass Effect 3 for Wii U
"I think anyone who is completely married to a particular platform should be worried, irrespective of who they are."
- Jagex California (Carnage Racing) ) technical director Michael Currington
"We didn't want to be like every other clone after World of Warcraft
came out, because we realized that if we did that, we wouldn't be able to reach or keep the players we wanted to keep when we initially launched this game."
- Rich Vogel, former executive producer on BioWare Austin's Star Wars: The Old Republic
"Greater market penetration for the iPad helps legitimize it as a serious gaming platform separate from the iPhone. The gaming market on iPad alone is still a little soft to target explicitly."
- Tiger Style's David Kalina joins other tablet developers in explaining why he's excited about the newly announced iPad Mini
"Our take on the multiplayer is [that it] turns into a sport really fast. Immersion, in a big way, kinda goes away after an hour or so of multiplayer gaming."
- Medal of Honor: Warfighter's multiplayer creative director and DICE veteran Kristoffer Bergqvist
"Forcing to some kind of common work format might only lead to less efficiency and also poorer motivation for that given individual."
- Johannes Vuorinen, the developer behind Trials Evolution's level editor, explains that everyone has their own method for being efficient
"I don't think [that with] one person making a game, it's possible to make something that isn't personal in some way, even subconsciously."
- Super Hexagon developer Terry Cavanagh
"If you can't remember any of the names of the characters, then you have a crappy game."
- Deadly Premonition director Hidetaka "SWERY" Sueherio
The complete versions of these in-depth articles, as well as other insightful pieces, are all available in Gamasutra's pages for Exclusive
items and Features