The Gamasutra Job Board is the most diverse, active and established board of its kind for the video game industry!
Here is just one of the many, many positions being advertised right now.
Location: Van Nuys, CA
Respawn is seeking a Senior Systems Designer to embrace and contribute to the project vision, specifically in the areas of hero control/mechanics, enemy design, AI behaviors, combat/weapons, class design, skills/progression, story, and boss encounters.
Are you ready to create something awesome with us?
- Work with the design leadership, design team, artists, code, audio, and animation to deliver design systems that epitomize the creative vision of the game.
- Research subject matter relating to the design objective in an effort to ensure the authenticity of the experience.
- You will be expected to own design systems from conception to the final stages of polish, facilitating communication and coordinating departments to ensure the vision is clearly understood.
- Be a positive influence on the entire team and as a designer, evangelize the ultimate promise to deliver “fun”.
- Proactively seek out opportunities to identify and deal with issues before they arise.
- Ability to self-critique and accept outside critique. The more feedback you receive, the more you can tailor your work towards what is best for the game.
- Demonstrate a willingness to keep an open mind to coworker’s ideas, incorporating suggestions when applicable.
- Participate in the research and development of new tools and design systems.
- Contribute to establishing and enforcing consistent design practices, constraints, and metrics throughout projects.
- Mentor other designers and lead by example.
- At least 5 years’ experience in the games industry working as a systems designer, shipping at least one title.
- Experience working on 3rd person action/adventure games, demonstrating major contributions in the areas of hero control schemes, enemy design, navigation mechanics, and combat.
- Experience working with a game engine and using scripting tools to assemble heroes, enemies, AI, and interactive objects by collecting and implementing animations, models, audio, and effects into one complete system.
- Extensive understanding of the systems design process including motion models, weapons tuning and feel, enemy concept and design, tools/upgrades, economy, balance, testing, etc.
- Experience in rapid prototyping to test feasibility of concepts.
- Strong understanding of text based scripting.
- Expert game design sensibilities, including a superior grasp of timing and instincts of what feels right.
- Demonstrates a deep understanding of gameplay systems and mechanics, able to pro/con design decisions and the ramifications they will have on the overall experience.
- Understands how the importance of orchestrating gameplay systems in harmony across the entire game and is able to communicate the importance of this to other departments such as level design to ensure these mechanics are used frequently and appropriately.
- Has the sensibility to know when the concept/prototype stage is complete and the time has come to bring other departments into the mix.
- Ability to pitch design concepts in a clear, detailed manner, through strong written and verbal skills.
- A team-player who understands the importance of collaboration, and can communicate effectively with all disciplines and departments.
- Positive, solution-oriented individual passionate about the play experience, with a wealth of knowledge across a wide range of games.
- Ability to learn and master new tools and techniques.
- Shipped AAA game/s a plus.
- CS degree is a plus.
A sample that demonstrates superior game design sensibilities. This can come in several forms including, a shipped title or a mod created for a retail game. A good sample is fun to play, is professionally polished, and is intuitively playable, accessible, and well rounded.
Interested? Apply now.
About the Gamasutra Job Board
Whether you're just starting out, looking for something new, or just seeing what's out there, the Gamasutra Job Board is the place where game developers move ahead in their careers.
Gamasutra's Job Board is the most diverse, most active, and most established board of its kind in the video game industry, serving companies of all sizes, from indie to triple-A.
Looking for a new job? Get started here. Are you a recruiter looking for talent? Post jobs here.