The Gamasutra Job Board is the most diverse, active and established board of its kind for the video game industry!
Here is just one of the many, many positions being advertised right now.
Game Designer, Tynker
Location: Mountain View, CA
Are you a creative thinker with a can-do attitude? Do you want to play a key role in the development of a new computing platform -- one designed to teach children computational thinking and programming skills in a fun, intuitive and imaginative way? Are you interested in joining a team of all-stars with a history of starting and building successful companies?
If you answered "yes" to these questions, consider joining us at Tynker. We're looking for fellow innovators who are passionate about preparing kids for the next millennium. Get in on the ground floor of an innovative new company that is changing the way kids learn and leverage technology. Tynker is well-funded by leading educators and top tier Silicon Valley VCs.
Tynker is looking for a highly creative and versatile game designer who can storyboard games, design game levels, and define goal progression. In this role, you will own the overall process from conceiving innovative game play to analyzing real-time feedback and adjust designs accordingly. You will work in conjunction with artists, developers and designers to implement and launch new games and levels. Your primary goal is to keep kids motivated and engaged in the creative learning environment.
- Define goal progression for tynker users of different age groups
- Storyboard games, programming challenges, and game levels
- Own the overall process from conceiving innovative game play to implementation
- Work with an amazing team of artists, game developers and designers to plan, implement and launch new games
- Clearly articulate game designs, gameplay, and visuals using Photoshop, Illustrator, and other tools
- Define gameplay for web, tablet and phone-based games
- Understand our k-12 audience and build something special for them
- Keep users motivated and engaged in the creative learning environment
- Plan balancing, monetization of virtual economies and driving player behavior
- Create reward structures and incentives within the game environment
- Analyze excel models for incentives and levels
- At least 3-5 years experience as a game designer, preferably with casual, social or mobile games
- Ability to fully document features including game systems, game mechanics, economy, UI, characters and story
- Strong knowledge of analytics and how to use data in game design
- Working knowledge of programming concepts (loops, functions, conditionals) is a must
- Expert with creating reward structures and incentives in game environment
- Ability to present concepts and receive feedback
- Willing to take creative risks
- Must be passionate about gaming and be up to date on game design literature and best practices
- Art direction and animation design is a big plus
- Previous technical experience and broad knowledge of game system capabilities is a plus
- You need to be able to multi-task and work well under pressure
All positions are located in Mountain View, right next to the San Antonio Caltrain station.
Tynker's mission is to provide every child with solid foundations in computer programming and critical thinking skills to prepare them to become better architects of their future world. Founded in 2012 by 3 technologists who found no other viable alternatives to engage their own kids with programming, Tynker is now used by thousands of schools and millions of students.
Before applying, please try out our free games that teach programming including Code Monsters, Code Commander, Monster High, Hot Wheels, Debugger at https://tynker.com/hour-of-code.
Interested? Apply now.
About the Gamasutra Job Board
Whether you're just starting out, looking for something new, or just seeing what's out there, the Gamasutra Job Board is the place where game developers move ahead in their careers.
Gamasutra's Job Board is the most diverse, most active, and most established board of its kind in the video game industry, serving companies of all sizes, from indie to triple-A.
Looking for a new job? Get started here. Are you a recruiter looking for talent? Post jobs here.