Gamasutra highlights choice quotes from game industry figures from the past week, including Funcom's Ragnar Tornquist (pictured), Sony's Shuhei Yoshida, Project Eternity's Josh Sawyer, and many others.
In our original and exclusive interviews, analysis, and feature pieces over the past week, a wide variety of developers, publishers, and indies shared their thoughts on PS Vita's struggles, designing games with mechanics for people who don't like those mechanics, and more.
This Week's Noteworthy Game Industry Quotes
"Being different can sometimes be a big disadvantage, particularly when the threshold for losing patience with a game is low."
- The Secret World's creative director Ragnar Tornquist
"A lot of it came down to looking at Half-Life 2
, and trying to figure out what Valve had learned, and we wanted to see if we could bring those lessons back to the original."
- Black Mesa project lead Carlos Montero on adding news elements to the Half-Life remake
"If you believe that you've got an idea, you believe that that idea is worth throwing all your chips back on the table and betting them all over again, then that should be your single obsessive focus, I think."
- Industry veteran Peter Molyneux
"Games like go, chess, and StarCraft
. These games are sublime, but they are also scarce -- as perhaps they should be. Everyone should not be fated to search for the unicorn."
- Cow Clicker creator Dr. Ian Bogost writes about repackaging game designs versus trying to create new genres
"I'm not sure why the big studios and console developers haven't picked up on the sandbox idea already. It seems like the indie crowd or smaller teams are the only ones getting it."
- Andrew Spink, co-creator of hit sandbox game Terraria
"In the past few years there's been a trend toward designing games with mechanics for people who don't like those mechanics, and it blows my mind."
- Project Eternity director Josh Sawyer
"A lot of Chinese games have the problem where players will get to a certain level…and then [the cost of virtual items] will skyrocket, and it ends up killing the game."
- Reality Squared Games CEO Jared Psigoda on how Chinese browser games get players to open their wallets
"When developers I know hear that I am working on a PS Vita project, because of those sales numbers, their typical response to me is 'Oh, I'm sorry to hear that."
- Ex-SCEA developer and Twitchy Thumbs Entertainment founder Jim Buck
"There are so many options for publishers now that we cannot take it for granted that our new platform would be supported by third parties, like [it would've been] many years ago."
- Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida shares the challenges of attracting developers to PS Vita
The complete versions of these in-depth articles, as well as other insightful pieces, are all available in Gamasutra's pages for Exclusive
items and Features