informa
1 min read
News

Ubisoft invests in free-to-play, acquiring Anno developer

Ubisoft is now full owner of one of Germany's best game developers, as it purchased the remaining stake in PC strategy game and free-to-play developer Related Designs.
Ubisoft is now full owner of one of Germany's best game developers. The French publisher today said it acquired the remaining stake in German studio Related Designs, the company behind the well-regarded Anno series of PC strategy games, including Anno 1404 and Anno 2070 (pictured). While Related Designs is best know for its PC strategy games, the buy shows Ubisoft's willingness to invest in the free-to-play online game sector. Related Designs' 65-person staff will continue development of the free-to-play browser MMO Might & Magic Heroes Online, and will also work on future titles with Blue Byte, the Ubisoft-owned studio that works on the Settlers franchise. Ubisoft already had a 30 percent stake in Related Designs, and this most recent transaction was for the remaining 70 percent. Ubisoft did not disclose the purchase amount. Blue Byte managing director Odile Limpach said she hopes Might & Magic Heroes Online will "become a leading free-to-play title for Ubisoft."

Latest Jobs

Treyarch

Playa Vista, California
6.20.22
Audio Engineer

Digital Extremes

London, Ontario, Canada
6.20.22
Communications Director

High Moon Studios

Carlsbad, California
6.20.22
Senior Producer

Build a Rocket Boy Games

Edinburgh, Scotland
6.20.22
Lead UI Programmer
More Jobs   

CONNECT WITH US

Register for a
Subscribe to
Follow us

Game Developer Account

Game Developer Newsletter

@gamedevdotcom

Register for a

Game Developer Account

Gain full access to resources (events, white paper, webinars, reports, etc)
Single sign-on to all Informa products

Register
Subscribe to

Game Developer Newsletter

Get daily Game Developer top stories every morning straight into your inbox

Subscribe
Follow us

@gamedevdotcom

Follow us @gamedevdotcom to stay up-to-date with the latest news & insider information about events & more