Microsoft has unveiled the names of dozens of new content partners that will be bringing video content to Xbox Live.
The new partnerships, announced via Major Nelson's blog
, include cable providers such as Comcast, Verizon FIOS and Rogers On Demand; TV networks such as HBO, Bravo, Syfy and the BBC; and online video providers such as YouTube, Crackle, VEVO, DailyMotion and LoveFilm.
It's unclear what specific content from these providers will be available on Microsoft's console, and what additional subscriptions or a la carte purchases, if any, will be necessary to view it. Microsoft has promised the new content will be "rolling out to consoles in more than 20 countries this holiday."
The announcement come on top of existing Xbox Live video partnerships with ESPN, Hulu and Netflix, as well as AT&T's UVerse service
Microsoft promised Live TV service would be coming to Xbox Live in the U.S.
at this year's E3, and was recently rumored to be in talks with Verizon and Comcast
Verizon said in a statement that it will be bringing "a selection of popular live TV channels to Xbox 360 and will be a leader in delivering live, multichannel streaming HD TV, integrated with Kinect, via Xbox."
UFC will be providing "access to live pre-event videos, a catalog of on-demand video, an Interactive Fight Card and pay-per-view events in stunning HD all together in one place.
Meanwhile Business Insider reports
that Comcast subscribers will only have access to On Demand content through the Xbox 360, and not Live TV. A post on Comcast's Xfinity blog
says the company will be bringing "thousands of On Demand programs from leading networks and studios to the console.]
A complete list of the newly announced video partnerships, including which countries they apply to, is included below:
• ABC iView – Australia
• AlloCine – France, Germany, Spain, U.K.
• Antena 3 – Spain
• Astral Media’s Disney XD – Canada
• BBC – U.K.
• blinkbox – U.K.
• Bravo – U.S.
• Canal+* – France, Spain
• Channel 4 – U.K.
• Channel 5 – U.K.
• CinemaNow (Best Buy) – U.S.
• Comcast – U.S.
• Crackle – Australia, Canada, U.K., U.S.
• Dailymotion – Available in 32 markets
• EPIX – U.S.
• GolTV – Spain
• HBO GO – U.S.
• Hulu – Japan
• iHeartRadio (Clear Channel) – U.S.
• LOVEFiLM – Germany, U.K.
• Manga Entertainment – U.S.
• Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment/Real Sports – Canada
• MediaSet – Italy
• MSN with MSNBC.com – Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Spain, U.K.
• MUZU.TV – France, Germany, Italy, Spain, U.K.
• Rogers On Demand Online (RODO) – Canada
• RTVE – Spain
• SBS On Demand – Australia
• Syfy – U.S.
• Telefonica – Spain
• Televisa – Mexico
• “The Today Show” – U.S.
• TMZ – U.S.
• UFC – Canada, U.S.
• Verizon – U.S.
• VEVO – Canada, U.K., U.S.
• YouTube – Available in 22 markets
• ZDF – Germany
* Xbox LIVE Gold membership and/or other subscriptions/fees required. Kinect functionality varies by feature, provider and region.