informa
1 MIN READ
News

Mac App Store Serves Over 100 Million Game, App Downloads

Consumers may be warming up to the idea of games on the Macintosh PC platform, as Apple's Mac App Store has attracted a significant amount of downloads since it debuted at the beginning of the year.
The Mac App Store, Apple's digital distribution platform for games and applications on its Mac line of PCs, has recorded more than 100 million paid and free downloads since it launched in January. The milestone may suggest increasing awareness for games on the Macintosh platform, which have traditionally fallen short in sales compared to those available on Windows-based systems. The company claims the Mac App Store is "the largest and fastest growing PC software store in the world." Similar games-specific services like Valve Software's Steam, GameStop's Impulse, and others do not provide data for total downloads. Mac App Store downloads are tracking behind those on the App Store for iPhones, iPod Touches, and iPads -- that platform saw 10 million downloads in its first weekend after launching, and 500 million downloads in six months. As with the App Store for iOS devices, the Mac App Store takes a 30 percent cut from all software purchases and in-app transactions (added in July with OS X Lion's launch), paying the remaining 70 percent to developers.

Latest Jobs

Manticore Games

San Mateo, California
8.23.22
Senior Software Engineer - Mobile

Sony PlayStation

San Diego, California
6.23.22
Sr. Online Programmer

The Walt Disney Company

Glendale, California
8.1.22
Associate Marketing Manager - Walt Disney Games

Insomniac Games

Burbank, California
8.26.22
Accessibility Design Researcher
More Jobs   

CONNECT WITH US

Explore the
Subscribe to
Follow us

Game Developer Job Board

Game Developer Newsletter

@gamedevdotcom

Explore the

Game Developer Job Board

Browse open positions across the game industry or recruit new talent for your studio

Browse
Subscribe to

Game Developer Newsletter

Get daily Game Developer top stories every morning straight into your inbox

Subscribe
Follow us

@gamedevdotcom

Follow us @gamedevdotcom to stay up-to-date with the latest news & insider information about events & more