Daily news, dev blogs, and stories from Game Developer straight to your inbox
Epic Games launching Steam competitor with 88% revenue share for devs
The Fortnite and Unreal Engine claims the Epic Games Store will deliver fair economics while allowing devs and publishers to form a direct relationship with players.Â
December 4, 2018
2 Min Read
Epic Games is about to go toe-to-toe with Valve by launching a digital storefront to rival Steam.
The Fortnite and Unreal Engine maker claims the Epic Games Store will deliver fair economics while allowing devs and publishers to form a direct relationship with players.
The store will launch with a hand-curated set of games on PC and Mac, and will eventually open up to other games and to Android and other open platforms throughout 2019.
Notably, the nascent marketplace will grant developers an 88 percent cut of revenue, with Epic taking the remaining 12 percent.
"There are no tiers or thresholds. Epic takes 12 percent. And if you're using Unreal Engine, Epic will cover the 5 percent engine royalty for sales on the Epic Games store, out of Epic's 12 percent," reads a blog post.
"We've built this store and its economic model so that Epic’s interests are aligned with your interests. Because of the high volume of Fortnite transactions, we can process store payments, serve bandwidth, and support customers very efficiently."
It's a bold and rather timely move, with Valve having come under fire recently for changing its own revenue sharing rates so it can give a bigger cut to developers who hit certain sales milestones.
Even with the introduction of those new rates, the biggest revenue share developers could hope to achieve on Steam is 80 percent -- and that will only kick in once a game has earned over $50 million.
As Epic eagerly points out in the graph below, it's a far cry from the 88 percent rate its own storefront will offer all developers.
Although revenue sharing was took center stage in Epic's announcement, the company also explained how it hopes to bring players and developers together.
For starters, anyone who buys a game via the Epic Game Store will be automatically subscribed to that developer's newsfeed, making it easy to inform players about updates, news, and upcoming releases.
Devs will also be able to directly control their feeds and game pages, with Epic explaining there won't be any store-placed ads or cross-marketing of competing games, or paid ads peppered throughout search results.
What's more, the Epic Games 'Support-A-Creator' program will help unite developers and content creators, with the initiative encouraging streamers and YouTubers to spotlight the games of participating devs by granting them a share of sales revenue.
Epic said the store will launch "soon," but neglected to share a specific date. You can find out more over on the Unreal blog.
About the Author(s)
News Editor, GameDeveloper.com
Game Developer news editor Chris Kerr is an award-winning journalist and reporter with over a decade of experience in the game industry. His byline has appeared in notable print and digital publications including Edge, Stuff, Wireframe, International Business Times, and PocketGamer.biz. Throughout his career, Chris has covered major industry events including GDC, PAX Australia, Gamescom, Paris Games Week, and Develop Brighton. He has featured on the judging panel at The Develop Star Awards on multiple occasions and appeared on BBC Radio 5 Live to discuss breaking news.
You May Also Like
Accessibility and fancy footwork with GLYDR's John Warren - Game Developer Podcast ep. 40Feb 28, 2024
Exploring the 2024 State of the Game Industry report - Game Developer Podcast ep. 39Feb 2, 2024
Phantom inspiration and the ethical auteur with Xalavier Nelson Jr.Dec 8, 2023
Designing Killer Queen: from playground experiment to modern arcade sensationOct 18, 2023
Get daily news, dev blogs, and stories from Game Developer straight to your inbox
Subscribe to Game Developer Newsletters to stay caught up with the latest news, design insights, marketing tips, and more