Daily news, dev blogs, and stories from Game Developer straight to your inbox
Pokemon Go pulled $600M in revenue faster than any other mobile game
Pokemon Go was able to earn $600 million twice as fast as the previous record holder, thanks in part to its unique playerbase.
October 21, 2016
1 Min Read
According to market researcher App Annie, Pokemon Go has earned $600 million in revenue faster than any previous mobile game to-date.
And while the $600 million milestone is impressive in itself, what’s really notable here is that Pokemon Go was able to earn that much revenue in only 90 days.
That is significantly less time than other mega popular mobile games took to earn the same amount in the past. Candy Crush Saga, for example, took more than 200 days to generate $600 million in revenue. For Puzzle & Dragons, it took twice as much time as Candy Crush at 400 days.
App Annie also said that, despite declining numbers presently, players have almost spent more time in Pokemon Go than they have with the next 19 most popular mobile games combined. On Android, 45 percent of total mobile gaming time was spent in Pokemon Go, with the remaining 19 games accounting for the remaining 55 percent.
The report shared by VentureBeat says that a major part of Pokemon Go’s continuing success comes from its ability to appeal to people who wouldn’t typically be interested in mobile gaming. This reinforces a previous report from Newzoo that said something similar, and implied that the mobile gaming market as a whole could benefit from Pokemon Go’s unique market.
About the Author(s)
As the Publisher of Game Developer, Alissa McAloon brings a decade of experience in the video game industry and media. When not working in the world of B2B game journalism, Alissa enjoys spending her time in the worlds of immersive sandbox games or dabbling in the occasional TTRPG.
You May Also Like
Accessibility and fancy footwork with GLYDR's John Warren - Game Developer Podcast ep. 40Feb 28, 2024
Exploring the 2024 State of the Game Industry report - Game Developer Podcast ep. 39Feb 2, 2024
Phantom inspiration and the ethical auteur with Xalavier Nelson Jr.Dec 8, 2023
Designing Killer Queen: from playground experiment to modern arcade sensationOct 18, 2023
Get daily news, dev blogs, and stories from Game Developer straight to your inbox
Subscribe to Game Developer Newsletters to stay caught up with the latest news, design insights, marketing tips, and more