The Gamasutra Job Board is the most diverse, active and established board of its kind for the video game industry!
Here is just one of the many, many positions being advertised right now.
Location: Austin, Texas
Founded in 1998, Retro Studios is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo Company, Ltd. Retro is a state-of-the-art game development studio, working in conjunction with Nintendo to bring award-winning games to Nintendo's cutting-edge next-generation platforms.
Retro Studios is located in beautiful Austin, Texas. With rolling hills, scenic waterways, abundant wildlife, vibrant music and film scenes, and a laid-back cosmopolitan culture, Austin is a dynamic city with an excellent quality of life. Austin's sunny weather also supports a great range of outdoor activities, providing plenty of venues for top-notch game developers to recharge and unwind.
Individual contributor that collaborates with Creative Director, Artists, and Designers to establish the visual aesthetic for game software through the production of Concept Art, Storyboards, and Promotional Materials
- Collaborate with the Creative Director, Artists, and Designers to realize and standardize assigned game software art factors such as look, feel, composition, color, and mood
- Able to understand goals and direction for a given project and adapt a broad range of styles from realistic to artistic in order to produce character concept art with appropriate sense of color, drama, personality, and design
- Provide conceptual Character, Environmental, and Object art in the form of sketches, paintings, and digital imagery
- Able to design and create concept art to support gameplay clarity and immersion
- Able to take ownership of concept work for various characters and environments while enjoying collaboration with other disciplines such as Design, Art, and Engineering in order to achieve high-quality, innovative concept art
- Perform research as necessary to participate in initial conceptual design
- Deliver artistic presentations as required
- Work with Creative Director to provide aesthetic direction and guidance to production artists
- Transform incomplete ideas or verbal guidance into coherent visual concepts
- Create storyboards and background illustrations
- Design and create front-end/UI graphics and promotional artwork
- Evaluate, recommend, and implement new tools
- Design and create artwork for in-game Characters and Environments
- Collaborate with the Creative Director, Artists, and Designers to create digital 3D assets consistent with the overall art direction
* This job description outlines primary duties and requirements and is not intended to identify all tasks that may be performed; individuals occupying the position may be required to perform other duties. The company may modify job duties from time to time, either in practice or in writing.
- Strong 2D drawing skills
- Mastery of fundamental artistic principles
- Online portfolio with high-quality examples of character and environment concept art
- Ability to execute a wide range of artistic styles
- Capable of quickly becoming proficient with Retro’s 2D art production tools
- Fluid and eager problem solver
- 3D art and modeling skills a plus
- Character-intensive concept background a plus
- Have three or more years' industry experience, including at least one complete product cycle
- Undergraduate degree in art-related subject, completion of an intensive art training program, or equivalent
- Fast-paced environment with fluctuating production requirements throughout the cycle
- May be necessary to change specific duties, projects, schedule or direction on short notice
- Overtime, weekend, and holiday work may be required