- Support the Art team in managing and improving their processes by: identifying and eliminating pipeline bottlenecks, diagnosing software problems (both internal and external), researching new technologies/workflows, and advocating for team education/personal development.
- Improve complex cross-departmental communication and work flow. Work with department leads to plan, test, and implement solutions. Roll out solutions to the team, with clear documentation and continued support.
- Serve as a bridge between the Art and Engineering departments. Be self-driven in communicating between departments. Ensure that Art and Engineering have a good understanding of each other’s objectives and concerns. You will often need to explain complex technical issues to non-technical people, and vice versa.
- Collaborate with a team of Technical Artists in the creation and maintenance of art tools, using multiple scripting languages. Build production-ready tools from scratch, including UI and documentation. Continuously improve existing tools based on production needs and artist feedback.
- Know what healthy and optimized content looks like. Develop content budgets based on specific technical limitations. Come up with best practices to stay within these budgets and teach these to the team. Work with leads to enforce and revise budgets as needed.
2 min read
Get a job: Irrational is looking for technical artists
"Serve as the bridge between Art and Engineering to ensure that the art pipeline meets the needs of both parties. Must have a strong understanding of/experience with modern AAA game-dev pipelines."
The Gamasutra Job Board is the most diverse, active and established board of its kind for the video game industry! Here is just one of the many, many positions being advertised right now.