Think of the consequences
(May contain game spoilers)
Are games that are story driven better than consequence driven games? Which of these types of games give the player grater enjoyment? Comparing the Mass Effect consequence driven, developed Bio Ware to the Dead Space story driven series developed by Visceral Games. Here are some possible reasons for and against this question.
- The series of Mass Effect games give the player choices that they must take from the start of the game. In the series each game works on the butterfly effect. Your action in the beginning of the game will affect the story throughout the hole game .if you are mean to an NPC that you have interacted with at the start of a game they could become your worst enemy at a later stage of the game or series and if you were nice they would remember you and may become an ally. The player can also chose the order of what they want to do and where they want to travel next.
- Dead Space is a survival horror game series that continues on the storyline from the previous game allowing the player a deeper insight into how these monstrosities of creatures that are prevalent throughout the game series came into existence and what exactly they are. The game also adds new creatures into the mix depending on the gender and age of the person that has been reanimated and has joined as one with the hive mind.
- Mass Effect allows the player to import their information from the previous game in terms of skills and other traits that the player has earned and the major decisions that the player has made in the game like who they have on their team and any other major game changing decisions that they have made into two and from two into Mass Effect three. These consequences are like ripples in a pond they start off small but become bigger down the line. One example in Mass Effect if you free the Rachnii queen in Mass Effect one she promises to make her race better that her predecessors and hints at that she hope to meet again one day and repay the debt, if you kill her you may never know if she can be trusted or if she can become a helpfully ally.
- Dead Space is a shoot em up series of game where dialogue between characters in the form of speech is all scripted as in Isaacs will only talk to NPC characters during cut scenes that are integrated in the gameplay. The player has no choice In what Isaac will say to people or when he speaks to others in the game.
- in Mass Effect the player has a choices of whether they want the player to be paragon or a renegade via the choices of sentences in any of the many conversation that take place through the whole game and through the whole series. The sentences are colour coded to highlight what their alignment blue from the paragon side of the conversation and red for renegade. Player can try and stay neutral through each game but sooner or later there will be decision’s that they will have to choose that will define what path they will follow for the rest of the game.
Here are list of some of many reasons why games can give the player greater enjoyment when consequence is taken out of the mix.
- Dead space is a free for run for life types of shooter where when playing you shoot anything that moves and if it moves again don’t stop till you dismembered it. This applies to the necromorphs in the game that are mutated dead bodies that have been taken over by the marker that is the hive mind for the whole horde of mutants that you must fight through. This can be fun for the player and allow them to get creative in the form of killing these creatures with the many weapons in their arsenal.
- Mass Effect Players don’t have to play the previous game to have to continue on in the story they can choose what happens in the main turning points in the previous game and continue on as if they have played the previous game. Since they have not annoyed anyone from the previous game then they don’t need to worry about what might happen down the line.
- Dead Space just continues to delve deeper into the story as the series progress. The player doesn’t have to worry about any consequences about what they are killing have already died and reanimated you are just finishing the process and making sure they stay dead. There are no consequences to take into account you must do what needs to be done. The introduction will fill the person in on what has happened in the previous game. And new guns are added into the game for the player to customise and use to dispatch the horde of undead creatures.
“As of July 5, 2014, the Mass Effect series has sold a total of 14 million units”
Total sales of the Dead Space series was little under half of the Mass Effect series coming in at 6.39 million units sold so for the whole series so far units sold referenced of the internet the page http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=156354.
“All three games have received critical acclaim for their storyline, characters, romances, voice acting, choices, and the depth of the galaxy. Video game website Games Radar called Mass Effect the best new franchise of the generation, saying the galaxy was so well-constructed that it felt like a decades-old franchise and represented "a high-water mark for video games as a story-telling medium”
By the results of sales for the Mass Effect series compared to that of the dead space series. Players may agree that a game series where you see your character develop is better that a shoot them up that resets at the start of the next game in the series proving that Mass Effect is better than the dead space series of games. The sales records have shown us that a game where the character developed over series of games is better that a repetitive game that has the same story line but a different location of the game