The Gamasutra Job Board is the most diverse, active and established board of its kind for the video game industry!
Here is just one of the many, many positions being advertised right now.
Location: Burbank, California
Insomniac Games is searching for our next great leader in our Story department. The Story Lead is responsible for the role of writing game narrative at Insomniac. This position ensures engaging story by leading a team of writers and narrative designers across multiple games. This role provides a critical component of the studios mission to create games that have a positive and lasting impact on peoples’ lives, by writing compelling stories and leading others to do the same.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Writes story treatments and dialogue that establishes the tone for a game
- Participates in cross-project planning for writing and narrative design
- Writes craft-specific goals that set a high (but achievable) bar for storytelling
- Assesses game macros, cinematic scripts, and level designs against studio and game goals and offers constructive critique
- Offers experienced guidance to narrative designers and writers
- Initiates and spearheads new projects for storylines
- Works with pre-viz artists to visualize story elements
- Guides feature-focused, cross-disciplinary groups to improve presentation for cinematics and events
- Acts as a point of contact for other disciplines: Bridges the gaps between narrative design and execution and works closely with other developers to problem-solve for narrative presentations
- Communicates proactively and anticipates production/scheduling issues. Works with PM to create achievable schedules and meets all production deadlines
- Plays the game regularly to assess the work through the players view
- Edits writers and narrative designers work
- Reinforces design intent with clarity
- Participates in playtests proactively; adjust story based on feedback from user tests
- Ensures that all complaints and concerns related to inappropriate or unprofessional conduct in the workplace, are address immediately to foster a safe work environment
- Other duties may be assigned
- Directly supervises a team of Writers on various projects
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
Education and/or Experience:
- Master's degree (M.A.) or equivalent; or seven plus years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Shipped a AAA game in a writer role preferred
- Expert knowledge of Final Draft, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Photoshop and Illustrator a plus
If this is the role you have been looking for- we look forward to hearing from you. Please submit your application using the link provided and be sure to include one or more writing samples that showcase strong dramatic writing. Screenplays or teleplays that tell a complete story are preferred.
Interested? Apply now.
About the Gamasutra Job Board
Whether you're just starting out, looking for something new, or just seeing what's out there, the Gamasutra Job Board is the place where game developers move ahead in their careers.
Gamasutra's Job Board is the most diverse, most active, and most established board of its kind in the video game industry, serving companies of all sizes, from indie to triple-A.
Looking for a new job? Get started here. Are you a recruiter looking for talent? Post jobs here.