Figures from the NPD Group for the US have seen software sales breaking the $7 billion mark for the first time. Thanks to a drop in console hardware prices and a weak PC software market though the 1.5% rise in console software was overcome by an overall sales figure drop of 4%, which translates to a total sales figure of $11.2 billion.
Rounding out an impressive turnaround in fortunes since the price cut of the GameCube before Christmas, Nintendo had the most entries in the list of top ten selling games of 2003, closely followed by Electronic Arts.
In the PC charts Electronic Arts have been able to dominate far more easily, with seven of the top ten selling PC titles, although the subdued state of that market makes such an achievement a fairly hollow victory.
The full list of top ten selling console titles in the US for 2003 is as follows:
1. Madden NFL 2004 (PS2, EA)
2. Pokémon Ruby (GBA, Nintendo)
3. Pokémon Sapphire (GBA, Nintendo)
4. Need for Speed: Underground (PS2, EA)
5. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GC, Nintendo)
6. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2, Rockstar)
7. Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (GC, Nintendo)
8. Tony Hawk's Underground (PS2, Activision)
9. Enter the Matrix (PS2, Atari)
10. Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (PS2, EA)
Source: The NPD Group