Today's news round-up includes a look at Microsoft's plans to launch the Xbox 360 in mainland China, Sega's localization of the action-adventure brawler Yakuza
, Lara Croft's latest voice actress, and an announcement for a special Gamasutra soapbox, as well as the latest product news, GameSetWatch posts, and Gamasutra job postings.
- Microsoft is slowly evaluating the possibility of launching the Xbox 360 in China. "It's a very controlled environment," Alan Bowman, Microsoft's general manager of entertainment and devices for Asia Pacific and Greater China, told the Associated Press. "We're going to make sure that we make the right moves, develop the right content, have the right partnerships in place. It's not something you want to rush in and do." Console manufacturers are often wary of launching product in mainland China, due to the region's relatively low per-capita salary and issues regarding piracy.
- Sega of America and Sega of Europe have jointly announced that Ryu Ga Gotoku
, the free-roaming PlayStation 2 action-adventure game by producer Toshihiro Nagoshi (Super Monkey Ball
) and writer Seishu Hase (film 'The City of Lost Souls'), will be released in their respective markets with the new title of Yakuza
. "We feel that the street brawling gameplay in particular will impress everyone" said Sega Europe's Matt Woodley. "Getting this spot on in games has proven hard for some developers in the past, but the Yakuza team have pulled it off with great style. Add to that some of the most evocative locations seen in a game and we have a title Sega are very excited to be releasing."
- Eidos Interactive has announced that British actress Keeley Hawes (above, right), most known for her role as Zoë Reynolds in BBC's TV drama Spooks, will be the new voice of Lara Croft in the upcoming Tomb Raider: Legend
, the seventh game in the series. "Keeley is perfect for the voice of Lara" said Matt Gorman, Brand Controller for the Tomb Raider
series, "she had the right balance of aristocracy and attitude to really bring to life Miss Croft in all her glory." Hawes is the third woman to voice Lara Croft in Eidos' video game series, the previous two being voice actresses Jonell Elliott and Judith Gibbins.
- Recent posts on Gamasutra sister weblog GameSetWatch
include an unconventional prototyping process for Bonnie's Bookstore creator Phil Steinmeyer
and a look at a gigantic online archive for arcade flyers
, a decorative staple in the Gamasutra offices.
- Please not that, for those who have submitted a Letter To The Editor regarding David Sirlin's recent Soapbox on World Of Warcraft
, we will be compiling a special feature with the responses tomorrow, Friday, due to the exceptionally high level of feedback.
- Also updated today: product news on IT GlobalSecure's SecurePlay 3.1
, as well as the latest Gamasutra job postings
, including openings from Iron Lore Entertainment, Vivendi Universal, High Moon Studios, LucasArts, Collision Studios, Petroglyph, Midway, Javaground, Concrete Games, Electronic Arts, DeVry University, and Zipper Interactive.