Today's Gamasutra round-up includes news of Video Games Live at Gen Con, America's VideoGame Expo positioning itself as potential E3 replacement, and Your World Games and Sony BMG Music co-publishing The Shroud
, as well as the latest GameSetWatch posts, Serious Games Source news, product news, and Gamasutra job postings.
- Video Games Live, the Tommy Tallarico and Jack Wall-headed touring production of live music from various popular video games, announced that it will soon be stopping in Indiana for state's first video game music concert. Two performances will take place on Friday, August 11th and Saturday, August 12th at 8pm during the gaming convention Gen Con. Both shows will be performed with the Indianapolis Symphony at the prestigious Hilbert Circle Theatre in Indianapolis.Video Games Live is once again opening the doors early to present a pre-show festival from 7:00pm – 8:00pm which is FREE to all ticket holders. Tickets can be purchased from the Indianapolis Symphony website
- Officials from event organizers Lunar Tide Communications have announced that annual America’s VideoGame Expo (VGXPO) is being positioned as a potential alternative video game event in the wake of E3's recent downsizing. The consumer event aims to provide both casual and hardcore gamers with the opportunity to play new titles, meet industry figures, compete in tournaments and buy new and retro games. VGXPO is scheduled to take place from October 27-29, 2006 at the Valley Forge Convention Center, outside of Philadelphia, PA. Tickets are available at the event's website
. "It seems we've come full circle... I started making games over 20 years ago, back then the ONLY kind of expo was for gamers. I have very fond memories of being shoulder deep in gamers all eager to be the first to try a new game. The energy and excitement they generate fuels the passion that makes game development so fun," said David Perry, CEO of GameConsultants.com.
- Your World Games today announced a worldwide co-publishing agreement through which Sony BMG Music Entertainment will work with global wireless carriers to distribute the role-playing game The Shroud
to mobile devices. Additional terms of the agreement were not disclosed. Developed by Your World Games and with production by game developer Hardcore 3D Wireless, the Shroud was first unveiled to the press earlier this year. “Sony BMG is the ideal partner to bring The Shroud to consumers,” said Robert Sprogis, Vice President of Your World Games. “They bring a dedicated and experienced management team with unbeatable relationships with wireless carriers worldwide, strengthening The Shroud’s credibility and selling power.”
- The latest updates on Gamasutra sister weblog GameSetWatch
include news of a post by Tom Coates
regarding reaching Level 60 in World Of Warcraft
, a game editor for Game Park's GP2X
, and a collection of links
covering Rockstar's Bully
, PopCap's multiplayer service feedback, and pictures from Otakon.
- Also updated today: Serious Games Source
news, including the call for papers for the Serious Games Summit at GDC 2007
and Operation Flashpoint technology licensed by the USMC
, plus product news concerning Vision Engine 6.0 at this year’s Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany
and modo winning the Apple Design Award At WWDC 2006
, as well as the latest Gamasutra job postings
, featuring openings from Blue Fang Games, Datascope Recruitment, Electronic Arts, Emergent Game Technologies, Gas Powered Games, Heavy Iron Studios, Iron Lore Entertainment, Irrational Games, and THQ KAOS.