Today's Gamasutra round-up includes news of the the top selling PC games for the week of August 6, final details on this weekend's 3rd annual Penny Arcade Expo, and the cover athletes for NBA Live 07
, as well as the latest GameSetWatch posts, product news, and Gamasutra job postings.
- The NPD Group has released the list of the best-selling retail PC games for the week of August 6 in North America, with Vivendi Universal and Blizzard's World Of Warcraft
ranking as the most popular title on the chart. EA's The Sims 2
was the second most selling PC title for the week, followed by Her Interactive's Nancy Drew: Danger By Design
and 2K Games' Civ
expansion, Civilization IV: Warlords
. THQ's Cars Radiator Springs Adventures
ranked as the sixth most purchased PC title for the period, sandwiched between Sims 2
expansions Open For Business
and Family Fun Stuff
, which ranked fifth and seventh respectively. Civilization IV
itself ranked eighth on the chart, followed by THQ's Valusoft-branded Paws & Claws Pet Vet
. Microsoft's Age Of Empires III
rounded out the chart as the tenth most purchased PC title for the week.
- Organizers of the 3rd annual Penny Arcade Expo (PAX), scheduled to take place Friday, August 25th through Sunday, August 27th, announced final details for the event, taking place at the Meydenbauer Center in Bellevue, Washington. PAX will feature game exhibits from Microsoft, Nintendo, EA Mythic, and other developers and publishers, as well as music concerts, game tournaments, and lectures. The event is hosted by Penny Arcade, developers of the infamous game industry-focused comic strip of the same name. Event highlights will include a keynote address titled 'Prehistory of the Xbox' by Alex St. John, a panel on how to get your game ideas submitted, and a Guitar Hero
tournament, and more than 17,000 attendees are expected, including Gamasutra representatives.
- Electronic Arts announced during the Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany that the Dallas Mavericks' Dirk Nowitzki, Memphis Grizzlies' Pau Gasol, San Antonio Spurs' Tony Parker and Phoenix Suns' Boris Diaw will be featured alongside the Houston Rockets' Tracy McGrady on the NBA LIVE 07
All-Star team as worldwide cover athletes and spokespersons. The game will feature Nowitzki on all packaging in his native Germany, Gasol in Spain and Parker and Diaw sharing the cover spotlight in France. McGrady will be the cover athlete of NBA LIVE 07
in North America and all other countries. The game is scheduled to ship September 25 for the Xbox 360, Xbox, PlayStation 2, PSP, PC, and mobile phones. In addition, the game will ship for the PlayStation 3 in November.
- The latest updates on Gamasutra sister weblog GameSetWatch
include an interview
with Carrier Command
remake author Martin Bell, indie game Fleafall going from pay-to-play to being free
, and Uwe Boll fighting naysayers
with the sponsorship help of GoldenPalace.com.
- Also updated today: product news concerning Massive Entertainment using modo
In World in Conflict
, plus the latest Gamasutra job postings
, featuring openings from Aspyr Media, Blockdot, Concrete Games, Cryptic Studios, Gas Powered Games, LucasArts, Midway Games, Offset Software.