Today's round-up includes news of a new director of development at Tantalus Interactive, a publishing deal between Wild Hare Entertainment and Alten8 Limited, and a debriefing of the recent Tokyo Game Show by Australian event organizer Dissecta, as well as the latest Game Career Guide updates, Serious Games Source posts, GameSetWatch posts and Gamasutra job postings.
- Australian developer Tantalus Interactive (Xbox port of Unreal II: The Awakening
, MX vs ATV: On the Edge
), announced that it has appointed David Giles as the company's new director of development. In his new role, Giles will assume responsibility for the development function at Tantalus, working across a variety of projects on DS and PSP, and driving the company's push onto next-generation consoles. Giles has in excess of twelve years of experience in the video game industry, and was the director of development at Atari Melbourne House before leaving in 2004 to establish the Melbourne campus of the Academy of Interactive Entertainment. In his role at Tantalus, Giles will report to company CEO Tom Crago.
- Wild Hare Entertainment announced that the company has entered into an exclusive publishing agreement with Alten8 Limited, a developer of titles for the PC and handheld consoles, as well as mobile phones. The deal will see the Dallas-headquartered privately funded Wild Hare publishing Alten8's upcoming unannounced titles for the PSP in the North American market. "It’s very exciting to begin this with partnership Alten8 Limited. Our companies are based on the same philosophy and share the same vision for bringing the very best interactive entertainment to audiences worldwide," said Matt Tolleson, V.P. of Publishing at Wild Hare Entertainment. "Gamers will be amazed at the content this agreement allows us to provide the PSP portable entertainment system in the North American market."
- Australian event organizer Dissecta has announced its next Melbourne-based games industry meeting, entitled "Tokyo is Game!," which will be focused on a debrief of the recent Tokyo Game Show. The event, set to take place October 17 at the Australian Games Innovation Centre in Melbourne starting at 6:30 pm, will feature a debrief the recent TGS event by Jason Hill of the Age and Sydney Morning Herald. In addition, Melbourne developer Torus Games (Classified:The Sentinel Criss
) will also be present at the event to talk about the companies recent and ongoing projects. For more information on the event, visit Dissecta's website
- The latest updates on Gamasutra sister alt.gaming weblog GameSetWatch
include news of arcade adventure game The Act being tested in Boston arcades
, backlash against the Star Wars Galaxies messageboards
from the game's creative director Chris Cao, and an interview concerning game developer downsizing
- The latest updates on Gamasutra's sister site Game Career Guide
include news of a call for papers
for The Microsoft Academic Days on Game Development in Computer Science Education.
- Also updated today: the latest Gamasutra job postings
, including openings from BioWare Austin, Cranky Pants Games, LucasArts, and PlayFirst.