Today's round-up includes the latest news on this week's PC charts, a new date for the Video Games Live concert tour in Chicago, and a number of new Xbox 360 Live patches, as well as the latest GameSetWatch posts and today's product news and Gamasutra job postings.
- The NPD Group has released the 10 best-selling PC games for the week of February 19th. Star Wars: Empire at War
is #1, followed by MMORPGs World of Warcraft
at #2 and the EverQuest: Prophecy of Ro
expansion at #3. Age of Empires III
is fourth, followed by a pair of simulations in The Sims 2
at #5 and Civilization IV
at #6. Another Sony Online expansion, EverQuest II: Kingdom of Sky
, takes seventh place, above Zoo Tycoon 2
at #8 and the Empire at War
collector's edition at #9. Finishing out the list in 10th place is EA's Battlefield 2
- Wizard Entertainment has announced that the Video Games Live tour, featuring live orchestral performances of popular video game themes, will be held alongside Wizard World Chicago 2006, which takes place from August 3rd-6th. The Chicago comic book convention is one of the largest in the country outside of the San Diego Comic-Con. "Video Games Live brings an incredibly exciting and unique element to our events which our attendees will be certain to appreciate and enjoy," said Wizard chairman and CEO Gareb Shamus. "Video gaming has become an important part of today’s culture and by adding Video Games Live to our already impressive line-up of Wizard World activities, it furthers our reputation as the number one pop-culture show in the country."
- Microsoft announced via Larry 'Major Nelson' Hryb's weblog that several updates and patches for Xbox 360 games have been released through Xbox Live. King Kong
, Smash TV
, Hardwood Hearts
, and Madden NFL 06
were the games included in the update, which seems to at least partially address flaws in tracking in-game achievements. Still to come are updates for games such as Call of Duty 2
, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06
, and Project Gotham Racing 3
- The latest posts on Gamasutra sister weblog GameSetWatch
include the new 'Parallax Memories' column praising Contra: Hard Corps
, a look at what the Tron Guy is up to
, and some 'seminal' Sega print ads
, among others.
- Also updated today: product news including Trinigy's new licensees for its Vision Game Engine
, as well as the latest Gamasutra job postings
from companies including Disney Buena Vista Games, Electronic Arts Tiburon, Emergent Game Technologies, Incredible Technologies, Pipeworks, Rainbow Studios, Rare, Realtime Associates, The Collective, THQ San Diego, and Vivendi Universal.