Today's news round-up includes a look at Midway's publishing plans for the Sony PSP, the song list for the latest addition Sony's European-exclusive SingStar Rocks!
, and a change of hands for the Sony-owned Metreon building, plus the latest GameSetWatch posts, product news, and Gamasutra job postings; none of which directly involve Sony.
- Midway Games has announced its upcoming lineup of games for Sony's PlayStation Portable for the remainder of 2006. "In 2006, Midway will begin our strong support of the PSP handheld market by bringing some of our top franchises to the system," said Midway chief marketing officer Steve Allison. The franchises due for handheld versions are NBA Ballers: Rebound
, a portable version of the street basketball series, RUSH
, which frees the stunt driving series from a specific location, and Mortal Kombat: Unchained
, continuing the bloody fighting game series.
- Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has announced the song list for SingStar Rocks!
, the newest game in its Europe-specific karaoke series. The track list contains acts such as Blur, Coldplay, Nirvana, Queens of the Stone Age, the Rolling Stones, and many others. The SingStar
series, which so far includes the original game, SingStar Party
, SingStar Pop
, and SingStar 80s
, has so far sold 3.6 million copies solely within Europe, as the series never saw a North American or Japanese release.
- The Sony-built Metreon complex in San Francisco has been sold to the Westfield Group, due to diminishing interest in the company in continuing to develop the property. Several of the building's stores will be re-tenanted, according to Westfield representatives, although Sony will maintain its PlayStation and SonyStyle consumer electronics stores. "We look forward to remaining a tenant at Metreon, and to Westfield and Forest City continuing the successful operation and evolution of this facility to the benefit of the downtown area and the entire San Francisco community," said Sony representative Lisa Carparelli.
- Recent posts on Gamasutra sister weblog GameSetWatch
include the latest update on our favorite wrecked Ferrari
, some friendly plugs for the Independent Games Festival finalists
, and a crazed look at the obscure side of the Neverhood franchise
- Also updated today: the latest Gamasutra job postings
, including openings from NVIDIA, LucasArts, Midway, Wolfpack Studios, UbiSoft, Monolith Productions, Pyro Studios, Incredible Technologies, and Aspyr Media.