Today's Gamasutra round-up includes news of Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting
becoming the fastest selling title yet for Xbox Live Arcade, famed Star Trek writer D.C. Fontana's involvement with Star Trek: Legacy
and Star Trek: Tactical Assault
, and the announcement of the Games Gone Mobile Tour, as well as the latest GameSetWatch posts, Serious Games Source news, product news, and Gamasutra job postings.
- Capcom announced that Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting
, which was released this week for Xbox Live Arcade for the Xbox 360 and represents the company's first title for the service, has become the fastest selling Xbox Live Arcade title to date since its release on August 2. The game is now available worldwide for download on Xbox Live Arcade for 800 Microsoft Points ($10). The popular fighting game includes several offline modes and numerous leaderboards and achievements, as well as a number of online options such as the “Quarter Match”, which introduces a new way of reliving the classic arcade experience at home.
- Bethesda Softworks announced that Star Trek writer Dorothy “D.C.” Fontana, with her partner, Derek Chester, have collaborated to write the scripts for its upcoming titles, Star Trek: Legacy
and Star Trek: Tactical Assault
. Fontana has been a creative force behind the Star Trek franchise since its inception in the 1960s, and has written numerous episodes, spanning the original Star Trek series to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. In addition to her collaboration on franchise, Fontana has influenced television science fiction writing with her work on The Six Million Dollar Man, Babylon 5, and Earth: Final Conflict. In 2001, she was inducted into the American Screenwriters Association Hall of Fame and in both 1997 and 2002, received the Writers Guild Morgan Cox Award for her many years of service to the Guild. Star Trek: Legacy
is in development for both the Xbox 360 and Windows, whileStar Trek: Tactical Assault
is being developed for Nintendo DS and Sony PSP. Both titles are scheduled to launch this fall.
- US mobile marketing firm TCS Mobile announced the launch of the Games Gone Mobile Tour presented by Cingular Wireless, a new expo dedicated solely to global mobile gaming. The ten-city, interactive tour will begin on August 11th in Chicago, IL and culminates on October 15th in Los Angeles, CA. The tour will include a variety of youth-focused events that will include the latest and most popular mobile gaming titles from EA Mobile, Oasys Mobile and Sony Pictures Mobile, including Tetris Mania, Doom RPG, Scrabble Blast, UNO Challenge, Rock'em Sock'em Robots, Texas Hold'em by Phil Hellmuth, Wheel of Fortune, Snoop Dogg Boxing
, and Ratchet & Clank.
The tour will be making stops in the Chicago, Boston, New York City, Washington DC, Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, Las Vegas, San Francisco, and Los Angeles markets, and will offer activities for three days at each stop.
- The latest updates on Gamasutra sister weblog GameSetWatch
include the latest import oddities
from National Console Support, a look back at Sega's Tempo series
, and a collection of links
including an article on Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
, an interview with Broken Saints creator Brooke Burgess, and art from the classic Atari Force comic.
- Also updated today: Serious Games Source
news, including a Workout Wireless deal
between Amp'd Mobile and AdCell Media, plus product news concerning Nevercenter releasing Silo 2.0 as an open beta
and Reyes Infografica announcing VF Costumer
, as well as the latest Gamasutra job postings
, featuring openings from 1K Studios, NaturalMotion, Perpetual Entertainment, and SDI Media Group.