During the 2006 Penny Arcade Expo (PAX06), Penny Arcade creators Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins announced a game industry scholarship in the amount of $10,000 to be awarded at next year's PAX event.
The scholarship will go to an aspiring student who plans to attend an accredited college or university with the intention of later entering the game industry.
The application requires a two page essay on how the applicant will fit in game industry as well as two letters of recommendation. To apply, applicants must have a GPA of at least 3.3 out of 4.0 and submit their application by Febuary 1, 2007. Applications will then be processed between February and August 2007. The scholarship winner will be selected based on service, leadership, character, and financial need.
The "Official Penny Arcade Scholarship and Guidelines" follow.
1. Any student attending an Accredited College or University in the US during the 2006-2007 academic school year
2. Must have the intention to enter the game industry in some capacity
3. Major: Any field
4. GPA: minimum of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale
5. Submit verification of enrollment in undergraduate or graduate studies program for the Academic Year 2006-2007
6. Each Award is for one year. Students must reapply for consideration the following year. No applicant may receive more than one scholarship award.
7. Any number of students from an institution may apply.
Completed application, required attachments, meet specific criteria [as listed in previous section], and weighted criteria [weights in service, leadership, character with an emphasis on financial need]
1. Postmarked by February 1, 2007
2. Complete & sign application
3. Two page [maximum] letter from you including:
a. Information about studies and how you will benefit the game industry and in what particular field
b. Statement addressing applicant's service, leadership, character and financial need.
4. Two current signed letters of recommendation:
c. Letters of Recommendation must be from colleagues or professors from current study program, administration, and/or professors who have knowledge of individual applicant
d. Letters of recommendation need to address applicant's potential to make a significant contribution to the game industry through character, service or leadership abilities.
5. Most recent official college/university transcript [with school stamp, school official's signature, or embossed stamp/seal] and schools grading system.
6. A photograph to be used for publication of award winners (Photograph will NOT be part of the selection process).
7. Include name, specific address, & phone number of college/university applicant is attending.
c/o The Official Penny Arcade Scholarship
12317 15th Ave NE, Suite 108
Seattle, Washington 98125