informa
2 min read
News

NPD: 29% Of U.S. Game Sales Were Digital In Last Three Months

Market research firm NPD Group this week said 29 percent of games acquired in the past three months in the U.S. were obtained digitally, as consumers have ever more ways to download content.
An average of 29 percent of games acquired in the past three months in the U.S. were obtained digitally, as consumers have ever more ways to download game content, according to a recent survey from market research firm NPD Group. The remaining 71 percent of games acquired in the past three months were physical games, said NPD's Games Purchase Drivers 2010 report, which polled 3,700 members of NPD's Online Panel, ages two and up (responses from children under 13 were communicated by a parent). The firm said 47 percent of digital game buyers used game-centric download sites like BigFishGames and Valve's Steampowered.com, making such destinations the "most-used source of acquisition" for digital games. But PC games weren't the only growth contributor. NPD said 42 percent of digital purchasers bought games through app stores or cell phone carriers. Thirty percent of buyers bought digital games through console and handheld services like Xbox Live and PlayStation Network. One in five buyers surveyed said they bought add-on content for games in the past three months. Digital game "acquisitions" in the survey included games a person purchased, purchased with a gift or points card or received from another person who purchased it for them, NPD noted.

Latest Jobs

Treyarch

Playa Vista, California
6.20.22
Audio Engineer

Digital Extremes

London, Ontario, Canada
6.20.22
Communications Director

High Moon Studios

Carlsbad, California
6.20.22
Senior Producer

Build a Rocket Boy Games

Edinburgh, Scotland
6.20.22
Lead UI Programmer
More Jobs   

CONNECT WITH US

Register for a
Subscribe to
Follow us

Game Developer Account

Game Developer Newsletter

@gamedevdotcom

Register for a

Game Developer Account

Gain full access to resources (events, white paper, webinars, reports, etc)
Single sign-on to all Informa products

Register
Subscribe to

Game Developer Newsletter

Get daily Game Developer top stories every morning straight into your inbox

Subscribe
Follow us

@gamedevdotcom

Follow us @gamedevdotcom to stay up-to-date with the latest news & insider information about events & more