Gamasutra will be featuring a full write-up of MI6's blockbuster closing 'Gaming 2020' session - featuring execs from Peter Moore through Nolan Bushnell talking the future of gaming - in the near future, but in the meantime, here's our top 5 quotes from the must-see session.
With Wedbush senior analyst Michael Pachter acting as moderator, Ubisoft NA President Laurent Detoc, EA Sports President Peter Moore, Atari Founder, NeoEdge Chairman, and uWink CEO Nolan Bushnell, Wild Tangent CEO Alex St. John and EA Casual Games President Kathy Vrabeck all waxed lyrical on the state of games.
Here's our top picks for most interesting quotes from the panel that ended the San Francisco-based game marketing event:
1. Peter Moore, EA Sports: "I think we have to look East for indications of where this business is going. We're going to have to practice creative destruction quickly..." As for the retail/console model being the future: "We're kidding ourselves."
2. Alex St. John, Wild Tangent: "I think you'll see the console business is gone by ... one reason is that there's a game which is the most profitable game in history, it's World Of Warcraft
. More and more games will move to community models."
3. Nolan Bushnell, NeoEdge: "Traditional banquets with gaming, in the 10th and 12th century always had food and drink with them... so the living room, I think, of 2020, will likely have some kind of interactive coffee table. There will probably be an internet connection to some PC."
4. Kathy Vrabeck, EA Casual: "I think in 2020 we will not be making games accessible for the people we think of today... in 12 short years we've moved to 30% of the business being online and mobile? Is that a stretch to say it'll be 50% 12 years from now? I don't think so."
5. Laurent Detoc, Ubisoft: "If we make things very accessible and enlarge the population, we will have a very diverse population... nobody in my office knows my mom as a consumer, but if she starts buying games they're going to have to... that's really not 2020, it's right now."