informa
/
2 MIN READ
News

Interview: NPD's Klotz Explains Top 10 Sales Pressure

Making the NPD's top 10 is crucial to success as the game biz becomes more hit-driven, NPD analyst Michael Klotz tells Gamasutra, as the top ten games on the Wii on 2008 accounted for a whopping 44 percent of all sales. Details, stats within...
"Basically, Pareto's Principle indicates that roughly eighty-percent of the effects of something comes from twenty-percent of the causes," explains NPD analyst Michael Klotz to Gamasutra in an exclusive interview examining U.S. game retail trends. Following December 2008's NPD results, he discussed a key trend that's changing over time: "Looking at game sales from 2000 to 2008, 29 percent of the SKUs [individual game releases by format] that were in the market accounted for 80 percent of the sales." "Looking forward to year-to-date 2008, it's actually down to 20 percent," continues Klotz. "Another way of looking at this is by examining the top 20 SKUs per year." According to NPD data, in 2005, the top 20 SKUs accounted for 11 percent of the total unit sales. In 2008, the top 20 SKUs accounted for 18 percent of the total unit sales, NPD has found. "You're really seeing that those top hits are the most important thing in the industry. And getting into that top-tier release is more important than ever before." When Klotz looks at platform-by-platform, the Wii numbers are most significant. "13 percent of the SKUs that were released on the Wii account for 80 percent of the sales." The other platforms, he says, are closer to the 80/20 principle. And in 2008, Wii produced some especially stunning numbers, according to Klotz: "When you're looking at the Wii, what's really interesting is, when you look at 2008, the top ten SKUs accounted for 44 percent of the sales. There were 432 titles available in the market for the Wii... strictly retail." "You're looking at 422 titles that are competing for the remaining 56 percent of the sales," Klotz tells Gamasutra. He compares that to the PS2, PS3, and Xbox 360, where the top ten games only account for 31 percent to 32 percent of the sales. "Those top ten games are such a huge piece of the Wii business," says Klotz. "And if you look at the top ten titles for the Wii, it's Mario Kart, Wii Fit, Wii Play. "It speaks to the amazing job Nintendo does, producing games for their own platforms," concludes Klotz. The highly hit-driven business is tough for developers, Klotz tells Gamasutra, concluding: "There aren't as many games that are selling a lot of units... To become one of those industry-driving titles is becoming tougher. Especially on the Wii."

Latest Jobs

Cryptic Studios

Remote
1.19.23
Senior Producer

Night School Studio

Los Angeles, CA, USA
1.09.23
Level Designer / Scripter, Games Studio

Fast Travel Games

Hybrid (Stockholm, Sweden)
1.09.23
Social Media / Community Manager
More Jobs   

CONNECT WITH US

Explore the
Subscribe to
Follow us

Game Developer Job Board

Game Developer Newsletter

@gamedevdotcom

Explore the

Game Developer Job Board

Browse open positions across the game industry or recruit new talent for your studio

Browse
Subscribe to

Game Developer Newsletter

Get daily Game Developer top stories every morning straight into your inbox

Subscribe
Follow us

@gamedevdotcom

Follow us @gamedevdotcom to stay up-to-date with the latest news & insider information about events & more