All companies and universities developing games/3D applications within the European Union can now apply for membership in the Special Interest Group of the GameTools Project to get free access to GameTools 3D technology.
The GameTools Project is funded by the European Union in its 6th framework program, and is present to encourage the development of games and 3D applications within the European Union.
The GTP researches and develops leading edge 3D graphics libraries, in areas including:
· Geometry: GPU Friendly Level of Detail, Geometric LOD, Automatic Image Based Simplification
· Plants: Tree/Plant LOD, Billboard Cloud Trees
· Visibility: Fast Online Visibility Culling, Incremental & Exact Visibility Precalculation, Visibility Scene Analysis
· Illumination: Volumetric Particles, Caustics, Realtime Raytracing Effects, Realistic Materials, Local Density Fog
· Shadows: Realtime Radiosity, High Quality Shadowmaps, Soft Shadows
The libraries are being developed in C++ for Direct3D 9 (in some cases also OpenGL) to be integrated into any modern 3D/game engine. They are also currently being integrated into the Shark3D middleware solution, which supports multiplatform (PC, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3) development.
For more information, videos, and demos, visit the GameTools Project website