informa
2 min read
article

Australian Military Recruiting 'Serious Game' Posts Stats

The creators of the Australian Defence Force 'serious game' ADF: Aviator have announced that the title, which requires full name and address registration before it...
The creators of the Australian Defence Force 'serious game' ADF: Aviator have announced that the title, which requires full name and address registration before its free digital delivery, has been downloaded more than 7,000 times since its launch in October. This move comes as other countries move to use America's Army style recruiting tactics for their own nations. The game, which was developed by Visual Jazz in conjunction with active and veteran armed forces aviators as part of the Australian Defence Force's attempt to appeal to young recruits, features realistic missions that give players a glimpse at what it takes to be a pilot in the army, navy or air force by simulating real missions across various types of terrain. The Defence Force Recruitment (DFR) has revealed that 69 percent of the game's downloads have come from players between the ages of 13 and 25, with most of these falling between 13 and 19. Of these, 91.6 percent were male, while the remaining 8.4 percent were female. "As long-time avid adopters of gaming for serious purposes, the military are well aware of the potential of serious games. The military invest heavily in the design, development and implementation of the serious games primarily for training and recruitment purposes," indicated Andrew Stapleton, a game researcher at Swinburne University of Technology, in a recent paper. DFR also indicated that a new version of ADF: Aviator is in the works currently, and will feature joystick support, keyboard remapping and rotor wash effects. It added that subsequent versions will include more varied aircraft and missions, as well as more detailed environments.

Latest Jobs

Disbelief

Chicago, Illinois
05.10.22
Producer

Build a Rocket Boy Games

Edinburgh, Scotland
05.12.22
Lead Animation Programmer

Windwalk Games

Austin, Texas
05.16.22
Game Designer

Sucker Punch Productions

Bellevue, Washington
05.10.22
Campaign Director
More Jobs   

CONNECT WITH US

Register for a
Subscribe to
Follow us

Game Developer Account

Game Developer Newsletter

@gamedevdotcom

Register for a

Game Developer Account

Gain full access to resources (events, white paper, webinars, reports, etc)
Single sign-on to all Informa products

Register
Subscribe to

Game Developer Newsletter

Get daily Game Developer top stories every morning straight into your inbox

Subscribe
Follow us

@gamedevdotcom

Follow us @gamedevdotcom to stay up-to-date with the latest news & insider information about events & more