I had too many videos to post on the BYOND version of this column. I passed on the Lady Ice teaser since I'll probably link to the short film itself when it's available. However, you might want to check it out if you enjoy Disney-like animation.
Another video I didn't add was the latest episode of DowntimeTown. I had subscribed to Robert Florence's YouTube account so I'd know the moment it was up, but the long video is only posted on Vimeo. Check the episode out because he really likes the boardgame he's reviewing.
Tech Tree is a list of links about games in BYOND Strategy, a guild run by volunteers on a game/development portal and software engine called BYOND. Those curious about notes or YouTube videos I've cut out can view the original version
- Unknown Person's tactical fantasy battle, Ultimatum, received an update this week. Numerous bug fixes, interface improvements, and internal changes were made. With the addition of university work, Unknown Person's time to provide further updates is decreasing. Hopefully a new help file will available soon. If not, resume nagging. Muhuhahaha!
- There's no audio yet, but I finally released a version of my daemonic wargame, Flesh and Drone, and added it to the guild. For those who have not been reading my updates, Flesh and Drone is a game for 2 to 4 daemons who have to decide whether they want to spend their blood using their current tools or modifying the relative strengths of unit types. Screenshots are included.
- Geldonyetich's latest progress report for his persistent RTS, Vehicle Wars, includes a low quality YouTube video. (Yet another I could have embedded.) I'm nervous about the number of units he's shuffling around when the game is played over a BYOND network, but Geldonyetich stated that the video is proof of why he can't stop working. Considering the number of RTS projects that have been announced on BYOND and vanished, that's very good news.
- It was a possibility last week, but Gamemakingdude has indeed given up on his Urban Rivals-inspired card battling game. The uncommented source has been released.
- BYOND RPG's guildmaster, Tiberath, rewrote his server manager. The BYOND Strategy games currently hosted include Mobius Evalon's Board Game Chat, Nadrew & Gazoot's XO - Five in a Row, Efencea's Efencea, and Foomer's Solar Conquest. Testers are welcome to enter. Meanwhile, send some good wishes out to Tiberath's father because he was readmitted to the hospital.
- As I post this, IainPeregrine is holding the 2009 Game in a Day event. Those entering are allowed to submit games with themes of either "flight", "mechanics", or "turtles all the way down". Meanwhile, Acebloke has provided advice from two previous GiaD experiences and I wrote a post with a bit of history on the event.