I fought a bit to create some acceptable cover art for my physical boardgame. Apart from my lack of graphical talent, I found out that the 801x601 dimensions offered for the 800x600 end product on The Game Crafter are important to avoid distortion when uploading.
I was excited to be able to order a release candidate for testing. Then I saw the shipping prices and decided that spending almost twice the game's raw cost was not an attractive option. (USPS options are now available so I'll have to check them out.) I'm currently sitting next to a small pile of paper cards and game pieces that I printed out myself. I have yet to use them. Perhaps I'll create a BYOND version.
Tech Tree is a list of links about games in BYOND Strategy, a guild run by volunteers on a game/development portal and software engine called BYOND. Those curious about notes or YouTube videos I've cut out can view the original version.
- Xioden's version of Othello was accepted into BYOND Casual, listed/commented on by Single Player Games, and is now listed again in BYOND Strategy. What is Othello? It's Reversi with black/white ethnic groups slapped on by the Japanese and nobody complains because it's a Shakespeare reference instead of an anime or videogame. Shhh.
- Acebloke is resuming work on his Civilization-inspired sequel, Wargames2. Alliances are going to be more complicated than in his first game and a poll is being held to help determine how communication will be handled. While stating that a new beta version should be released soon, Acebloke also mentioned that he has been working on roads, siege units, and AI.
- XodinBlood's god-worshipping RTS, Godship: Age of Apocalypse, was updated this week. As usual, I know little about it, but I can shut the music off now. Progress!
- Geldonyetich posted another progress report for his persistent RTS, Vehicle Wars. Along with some bug fixes, he worked on turrets, animations, and 4 M.U.L.E.-inspired commodities with temporary names.
- Mecha Destroyer JD might not meet the 1 month deadline he gave himself to release a new version of his RTS, Ultimate Strife. On the bright side, he'll be hosting a server more often.
- DarkCampainger announced that he is working on a casual-strategy game called Run Them Through. Details are scarce, but the game should be finished soon.
- IainPeregrine is looking for theme suggestions for BYOND's next Game in a Day contest. He's also looking for a game to host on his own computer. I suggest his own tactical boardgame, Castle Wars. Then more people could nag him to decrease its randomness. Muhuhahaha!
- After motivation stalled on my boardgame, my daemonic wargame, Flesh and Drone, didn't fare much better. On the bright side, I eventually released an update for my card-battling boardgame, PathWrath 2, and an update for my simultaneous territory dispute game, Occupied Forces. They're mostly interface updates, but Occupied Forces also removed restrictions on entering the standings. Both updates include screenshots.