I didn't work on my BYOND projects as much as I should have before this week's installment. One reason is because I caught a link to The Game Crafter. As you probably know by now if you're reading game devleopment blogs, it's an on-demand service sort of like CafePress, but it's for boardgames. My mind has been preoccupied by designs for tangible games ever since I heard of it.
I'm not sure I can create enough art of reasonable quality, but at least no animation would be expected. Go programmer art! ;)
Tech Tree is a list of links about games in BYOND Strategy, a guild run by volunteers on a game/development portal and software engine called BYOND. Those curious about notes or YouTube videos I've cut out can view the original version.
- Unknown Person's turn-based wargame, Ultimatum,
has been unavailable to players for months. He claimed that he would
have a server up this summer. As a featured game, I merely removed it
from the featured list instead of removing it from the guild entirely.
That was some time ago. With removal on my mind again, I brought it up
in the pager and got this fortunate response:
"I may start hosting 24/7 for the summer, then I'll figure out the rest in September."
- XodinBlood's Godship: Age of Black-|-White has been updated. This time I have even less of a clue what changed.
- Mecha Destroyer JD's BYOND membership ran out and was renewed by a friendly neighborhood player. Access to his RTS, Ultimate Strife, appears safe for now.
While viewing the mass of unreleased projects on his hard drive, Mecha Destroyer JD made the mistake of mentioning that he's "gonna see about finishing and or improving upon other games that actually made it to the hub". Muhuhaha! Time to increase the nagging.
- I know that Geldonyetich's persistent, dynamic world is probably going to end up in another guild, but he keeps posting updates. For crying out loud, he even mentioned M.U.L.E as an inspiration for resource accumulation again. Granted, I have a low bar set when considering items newsworthy enough for Tech Tree, but he's a tease I tells ya!
- Fugsnarf's BYOND Conquerors guild has ceased to exist.
I was rather hoping
that the interviews would see some improvement as it gets lonely
creating free BYOND-related blog content... or, you know, linking to it.
Of course, the interview with Flick probably would have ended with his whole family being turned into frogs or something anyway. That guy has had a rough year which I hope is ending favorably soon.
- I worked on the HUD for my daemonic wargame, Flesh And Drone. Options are displayed in words on the map and I added what I hope are interpreted as little mouse icons with their left or right buttons highlighted. Sadly, I took way too much time settling on a simple spinning animation on the selected piece of the active turn taker. I should have been doing something useful, like adding attack percentages to the HUD, instead of stalling on a low priority decision.