Solid BYOND Strategy news seems to be slowing down this summer. Meanwhile, Tech Tree is staying roughly the same length. I was never very good at writing BS in school, but I seem to have improved. Goody. *sigh*
I was going to skip the Gamasutra post of Tech Tree this week and write about a game mechanic that I seem to be hammering every nail with. Maybe later.
Tech Tree is a list of links about games in BYOND Strategy, a guild run by volunteers on a game/development portal and engine called BYOND. Those curious about notes or YouTube videos I've cut out can view the original version.
- Tsfreaks has yet to release an update for his version of Cathedral, but a poll appears to have thankfully convinced him to automate tedious tasks like piece removal. (I generally favor automating anything that doesn't allow a player to make a choice.) Tsfreaks also completed the area capture routines and fixed a few bugs.
- Cursing himself off the front page, Ganing is planning to update his base defense game, Seika SE, with new waves and maps. However, the release will have to wait while he works on a new project and Iccusion Entertainment releases a graphical update to Ganing's inspiration, Seika.
- Rushin/Rushnut's remake of Abra's base defense game, Castle, is "almost finished". However, he still needs enemy icons, a wave system, and to touch-up things like selectable maps. I can pass on the semantics of being "finished" as long as it results in a hub page I can get automatic updates from. ;)
- BYOND RPG will get it, but Wasteland_Seraph is working on a game with turn-based tactical battles like Final Fantasy Tactics. I'm guessing the game in question is Vestige. Vestige is described as a single-player RPG with a lead named Gregory Lions who is trying to remember his past and survive the present.
- Fugsnarf's BYOND Conqueror interview of Flick is going to take a while and Fugsnarf is accepting blame for the delay. I suggest passing the guilt on to Flick when asking about Squadrons and Flindal: Kingdoms. Bonus points for nagging him to change the underscore on the hub page of Kingdoms into a colon.
...E-frelling-gads, will I ever be able to pick on Flick in peace again?
- I fear I've exposed myself. I'm a tactical poser instead of a strategy master. If losing something in one session harms me in a later session, I get frustrated. Persistent worlds are for dirty roleplayers. ;)
- I finally spent some time working on the implementation of my demonic wargame, Flesh and Drone. My usual libraries have been integrated and I've created a good chunk of the Bid phase. I actually got a lot done in a short amount of time. That speaks of both BYOND's worth and my procrastination.