Farewell to one of the best game news blogs there ever was, GameSetWatch. Overlapping content with improving sources have made it redundant. Simon Carless, Eric Caoili and Danny Cowan offered their memories on the site. Recently separated contributor Matthew Hawkins offered his own.
Due to upcoming BYOND changes, I'm thinking my own writing contributions shall be obsolete as well. Granted, the Gamasutra reposts never served much purpose in the first place. Frell, I just bid farewell to a blog on its own sister site!
When I wrote Along The Tech Tree, it served to bring readers into the official BYOND Strategy guild. When guilds were phased out, BYOND and Within at least offered a way to avoid wading through the recent blogs for game news. With the next version of the site, that news will be found in the top posts of dedicated forums. There will even be a place for the events I mention in the external links section.
A portion of my unpaid volunteer work has been automated and, though some may mourn the loss of my questionable charm, that's not a bad thing. Maybe I'll even *GASP* manage to release a game again!
This edited version of BYOND and Within comes to you from an unpaid volunteer using a game/development portal and software engine called BYOND. Rather than play suggestions, the column focuses on recent developer activity.
- For the next two months, Experimental Gameplay Project is teaming up with 02L > Outside Standing Level to bring the 5 Buttons Competition. Here's last month's "upgrade" roundup.
- The Shibumi Challenge ends on January 31st. Design the best game using the pieces defined by the Shibumi set.
- While "editor" submissions to last month's event are available, Super Friendship Club has yet to announce their next pagent. I'm not late this time. Nyah!
- Those learning to program may wish to register for Stanford University's free, uncredited, computer science class which shall be online in February. They're offering quite a few courses for those willing to look around.
- Devin Becker's Ludology University offers design lessons now.
- Josh Bycer made a game design argument based on anime filler with Naruto and DBZ references. Tell me that's not destined to be reposted on BYOND. Liar, I just did it.
- I love it when Eric Schwarz rants about user interfaces.
- Chris Franklin might be feeling frustrated, but I love Errant Signal and the latest episode is no exception. Keep it up!
- It took eight months for this guy to draw a puppy taking a shower. Never trust a pixel purist with your art pipeline! ;)
- Though I lack money, I enjoy feeling like I'm donating to charity. (Ripple is my homepage.) WeTopia might be a Facebook game I'll actually play... Maybe.
- Amanda Lange stated on G+ that this is the best internet argument. I must agree.