Recently, the Journalism guild resumed its writing, DMBlog began its own and the DMcast posted another episode. If each can continue to provide content, then kudos to them. If not then they'll join the pile of other projects dead or on indefinite hiatus. Informative articles exist, but I've been the only consistent source of BYOND writing in the suite's history. Pretending my OCD means something, I've suggested that they cease forking their efforts in order to pace themselves while others maintain their readers.
This edited version of BYOND and Within comes to you from an unpaid volunteer using a game/development portal and software engine called BYOND. Rather than play suggestions, the column focuses on recent developer activity.
- As noted by Chris "Breakdance McFunkypants" Kaitila, this week is packed with game jams!
- The 8th Game Prototype Challenge will be continuing across Twitter.
- Super Friendship Club's Mysticism Pagent won't end until nexth month, but I suppose it still counts. It's all in their forum.
- Likewise, the theme for September's Experimental Gameplay Challenge is "story game". The results of August's "offspring" are now available.
- The theme of PyWeek #13 is "mutate".
- Blitzkast VI was posted late so if you're reading this early then you might still have a chance. The theme is "super powers".
- Increpare's Mini Ludum Dare will take place on the Ludum Dare website.
- OrcaJam will be in downtown Victoria, BC Canada.
- The latest Klik of the Month Klub has not been announced, but it's only 2 hours long so don't blink.
- The course "Introduction to Artificial Intelligence" taught by Sebastian Thrun and Peter Norvig will be offered online for free worldwide from October 10th to December 18th. If you're not willing to sign up, you can at least spy on their YouTube channel.
- The Game Crafter is holding a Mashup Game Design contest with entries due by November 1st. Prizes consist of "crafter points" which can be used for both discounts and promotion of games used with the service.
- Senior game designer Xander Davis has been hosting a YouTube show. Much of the focus seems to be on consoles. At least so far.
- Farewell to The Digital Cowboys. Alex Shaw and Tony Atkins will have other podcasts, but the final episode of the show they've hosted for four and a half years should be up soon. I've loved their work.