[Gamasutra highlights choice quotes from game industry figures such as Epic Games' Cliff Bleszinski, Blizzard Entertainment's Jay Wilson, Zynga's Seth Sivak, and many others.]
In our original and exclusive interviews, analysis, and feature pieces over the past week, a wide variety of developers, publishers, and indies shared their thoughts on when not to become a game designer, Facebook's relationship with game developers, why sound designers need to come out the booth.
This Week's Noteworthy Game Industry Quotes
"My advice to Japan is that in a disc-based market right now, you cannot [ignore multiplayer]."
- Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski
"Increasingly, it's about figuring out a means of online interaction rather than having your game be a standalone piece of software. How do you weave our games into the fabric of a player's everyday life?"
- Electronic Arts' EVP of digital Kristian Segerstrale
"And so a lot of the times I think you see people get into design because they have a lot of ideas and they think, 'If I'm the designer, then everybody just has to do my ideas.' And I would say if that's your reason to get into design, please don't go into design. That's a terrible direction to come from."
- Diablo III director Jay Wilson
"Facebook's attitude is that it doesn't need to accommodate or work with game developers."
- Digital World Research founder P.J. McNealy discussing Facebook's symbiotic relationship with game developers
"We've worked on post-apocalyptic games for so long that it is beyond our powers to create something completely different in the near future."
- Ruslan Didenko, project manager at Survarium developer Vostok Games, formerly project lead at S.T.A.L.K.E.R. studio GSC Game World
"We tried to innovate with every mechanic, user interface, and idea in the game with the intention of building something new. This became dangerous because social game players have come to expect a set of features that they believe should be part of every game and should work consistently across games."
- Zynga lead designer Seth Sivak in a postmortem for Indiana Jones Adventure World
"Sometimes [realistic movement and behaviors don't] translate to making a character feel fun and responsive. Usually we defer back to what feels the best and what plays the best."
- Sony Santa Monica art director Chris Sutton discussing God of War's 'interlinked' art and technology
"I believe we are at a crossroads where old, outmoded sound studio design and architecture is failing us on an industrial scale in not allowing us to fulfill our collaborative, critical and iterative role."
- Prototype 2 senior audio director Rob Bridgett on why the sound designer has to come out of the booth
"It seems like a lot of these modern FPS games take themselves way too seriously."
- Brad Carney of Final Boss Entertainment, the developer behind upcoming first-person shooter Wrack
The complete versions of these in-depth articles, as well as other insightful pieces, are all available in Gamasutra's pages for Exclusive
items and Features