The Gamasutra Job Board is the most diverse, active and established board of its kind for the video game industry!
Here is just one of the many, many positions being advertised right now.
Location: Cockeysville, Maryland
The Senior Combat designer works with the Combat Lead and the rest of the development team in the creation and maintenance of core combat mechanics, character abilities, and combat itemization. They are responsible for maintaining and improving the health of the combat experience including balance, bug fixing, system improvements, and development of new features.
- Assist the Lead Combat Designer in developing and executing plans to improve and expand the combat experience
- Adhere to guidelines and restrictions for combat gameplay as defined by the Lead Combat Designer and Creative Director
- Take ownership of the development of specific combat features and improvement efforts, from ideation through delivery to players
- Maintain clear and concise documentation for all mechanics, balance, and systems they are responsible for
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of the state of combat on the live servers and incorporate that knowledge into development effort
- Mentor other designers on the Combat team to improve their design, technical, and communication skills
- Actively seek internal and external feedback regarding the Combat product, and work with leadership to identify response actions
- Specific areas of responsibility include:
- Maintenance and iteration of combat-centric systems such as character stats, progression, itemization rules, and player onboarding
- Creation and maintenance of character mechanics, abilities, and items with an eye toward game balance
- Proposing and shepherding the development of new gameplay systems
- Minimum 3+ years combat design experience on a shipped or live online multiplayer game
- Deep expertise in action and RPG combat systems, and what makes them satisfying
- Experience designing for both a casual and competitive audience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to thrive within a collaborative environment, and both give and receive constructive feedback
- Ability to think logically and break down complex problems, with a strong focus on attention to detail
- Confidence working in an environment where specific processes are in place to maintain live game integrity
- Experience with scripting tools or languages
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word
Interested? Apply now.
About the Gamasutra Job Board
Whether you're just starting out, looking for something new, or just seeing what's out there, the Gamasutra Job Board is the place where game developers move ahead in their careers.
Gamasutra's Job Board is the most diverse, most active, and most established board of its kind in the video game industry, serving companies of all sizes, from indie to triple-A.
Looking for a new job? Get started here. Are you a recruiter looking for talent? Post jobs here.