The Gamasutra Job Board is the most diverse, active and established board of its kind for the video game industry!
Here is just one of the many, many positions
being advertised right now.Location: Champaign, IL
Volition is searching for a Senior Designer to fill a System Designer role. The successful candidate will have a proven track record designing various game systems such as player control, enemy and ally AI behavior, weapons, and difficulty balancing for AAA third-person shooters or action games. Experience in vehicle and vehicle combat is a plus.
Work on cross-discipline teams to design and develop gameplay systems for the product. Specific responsibilities may include vehicles, player control, AI behavior, weapons, and/or other systems. For each area of responsibility, the Senior Systems Designer is expected to do the following:
- Understand how the system fits within the strategic overview of the product design
- Ensure that the player experience fulfills the vision of the game
- Drive the quality, planning, scripting, pacing, implementation, and polish of the system
- Provide input on milestone work assignments, estimates, and dependencies for related goals and tasks
- Ensure deliverables meet expectations for completeness, quality, balance, vision, and player emotion
- Ensure that relevant team members understand high-level goals for the system as well as low-level specifications, dependencies, and workflows
- Evangelize for the needs of the player. Work with user experience researchers to define goals for player testing and data gathering
- Drive an on-going competitive analysis to assess the quality and scope of the player experience against that of the competition
- May be tasked with other duties and responsibilities in support of the project design team
- At least four years of professional industry experience with significant responsibilities in systems design. Proven track record with AAA console products
- Positive, professional attitude. Disciplined and self-motivated with a strong work ethic
- Ability to think creatively and analytically. An in-depth understanding of how gameplay works and how to create fun, meaningful experiences for the player
- Excellent communication and organizational skills. Ability to multitask and be flexible about changing role requirements
- Passion for games and ability to articulate that passion clearly and analytically. A broad knowledge base of console games and RPGs
Sample Work Required
Please provide samples of your design work. Downloadable and playable levels are preferred, but other samples may be acceptable (e.g., videos or instructions for viewing levels shipped in retail products).
Any supplemental materials demonstrating skills relevant to this position are also encouraged.
Interested? Get started here
. Are you a recruiter looking for talent? Post jobs here