The Gamasutra Job Board is the most diverse, active and established board of its kind for the video game industry!
Here is just one of the many, many positions being advertised right now.
Location: San Diego, CA
Sony San Diego Studio seeks an experienced, highly creative Senior Manager of Game Design to join our online team. The qualified candidate will play a key role during the game development process of overseeing any high level decisions that affect how the game plays, looks, or sounds.
As Senior Manager of Game Design, you are responsible for the overall look and feel of a game. Your focus is to ensure outstanding quality through innovative gameplay, artwork, music and audio.
- Define and drive the overall look and visual integrity of the game and all supporting assets.
- Oversee the game vision to ensure the entire project tracks to consistently stunning artistic vision.
- Supervise the development team to come up with game concepts and framework.
- Act as the visionary who makes sure the finished game fulfills team, studio and company goals.
- Prioritize project goals and deliverables according to the strategic visions of the studio.
- Get hands on, and/or oversee the development of game features, and pitch documents.
- Thrive in a challenging and ambiguous environment, as well as be adept at driving quality regardless of team, schedule or budget.
- Lead the internal development team and support groups by managing, mentoring and exemplifying mastery and leadership in the Senior Manager of Game Design role.
- Coordinate and track process / project resources, staff, assets and schedules to ensure timely outcomes.
- Serve as a resource to designers and development staff assisting in the mediation and resolution of complex problems or leading larger projects.
- Act as a role model within their craft and be able to mentor other designers.
- Monitor and evaluate performance of designers. Conduct annual performance reviews.
- Demonstrate fiscal responsibility when planning for art/development resources. Consider the organization’s budgetary cycle when developing project schedules.
- Six to ten years of experience in game design.
- Specific hands-on experience with free-to-play, micro transactions, live operations and data analytics.
- Shipped at least four to seven game products, start to finish.
- Interpersonal, inspirational, facilitation, communication, motivation, career development and project management skills.
- Sourcing, managing and motivating high-functioning staff and providing appropriate career development plans.
- Process knowledge, attention to detail, timely follow-up and strong organizational skills.
- Design skills that push innovation while having a strong and wide understanding of analytical, technical and artistic aspects.
- Function as an excellent inspirational and persuasive communicator capable of dealing with executives through to peers, as well as domestic and global internal and external partners. Ability to convey, persuade and sell an artistic vision is imperative.
- Comfortable with all degrees of ownership from personally directing to providing high-level feedback.
- A degree from a four-year college, with preference for an advanced degree or professional certification requiring formal training.
Interested? Get started here.
Are you a recruiter looking for talent? Post jobs here.