[Every week GameSetWatch editor-in-chief Eric Caoili rounds up the latest news/media for obscure and offbeat games from Gamasutra's sister site and alternative video game blog.]
In this latest collection of links to mostly ignored games and gaming news, we cover the unfortunate near-closure of Powerhead (the makers of fantastic DSiWare/iOS/WP7 release Glow Artisan
), a music video tribute to seminal survival horror game Sweet Home
, and more.
GameSetWatch's highlights from the last week:
Glow Artisan Devs Laid Off, Releasing New Puzzler
- There's good news and bad news from NYC-based indie developer Powerhead Games, creator of addictive, IGF Mobile-winning title Glow Artisan
. The bad news: all of the studio's twelve dev-based employees were laid off on Friday, though the company still exists and could possibly return with new projects.
Obscure NES Classic Sweet Home Is Paid Tribute
- Familiar with the game Sweet Home
? It's a somewhat obscure, spooky RPG (some say it's one of the very first survival horror games ever) for the Famicom that was a considerable inspiration on Shinji Mikami when he created Resident Evil
. And over twenty years later, it has finally gotten the recognition it deserves: via a stop motion music video for Love Automatic.
Ninja Shadow Warrior: Photo Booth Arcade Game Using Kinect
- Ninja Shadow Warrior
, despite its name, isn't the latest stealth/action game joining the ranks of Shinobi, Shinobido, Ninja Gaiden, Tenchu,
etc. It's a "stand alone photo booth arcade game using the Kinect camera, computer and a hacked closet light button built into a custom game cabinet."
Got a 3DS? You Need Donkey Kong.
- Nintendo 3DS owners take note: Nintendo updated its eShop this week with the addition of Donkey Kong
, a 1994 Game Boy game that you absolutely need to own. No exceptions. Sorry.
Another Taste Of Tumblr
- GameSetWatch editor Matthew Hawkins offers another tour through the video game curiosities that have recently popped up on popular blogging platform Tumblr, like an 8-bit adventure gaming rendition of Life Aquatic, a big hug between Mortal Kombat
's palette-swapped ninjas, My Little Pony x Mega Man, and more.
What Kind Of GBA Arcade Mod Is That?
- Toy and Television Games says it spent some 300 hours researching and prototyping the first launch product it intended to sell -- this very odd Game Boy Advance Arcade Tabletop, which looks like a GBA and arcade controls installed on Donkey Konga