[Every week GameSetWatch editor-in-chief Eric Caoili rounds up the latest news/media for obscure and offbeat games from Gamasutra's sister site and alternative video game blog.]
Over at our alt video game blog GameSetWatch, we shared a number of fun stories during the past week, including a newly discovered Atari 2600 game called Extra Terrestrials
, a dubious Ninja Turtles
game for iOS, Anti-Piracy Mario, pro wrestling-style entrances in Dark Souls
, and more.
GameSetWatch's highlights from the last week:
Previously Unknown E.T. Atari 2600 Game (Another One!) Discovered
- Almost every gamer knows about the Atari 2600's E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
, which many cite as a leading cause of the video game industry's crash and near demise in 1983, but apparently there was another Extra Terrestrials
game developed for the system, that wasn't found until last week!
"Ninja Turtles" iOS App Is The Most Baffling Thing Ever
- Sweet, a new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
game is out for the iPhone and iPod Touch! Let's just head on over to the App Store and whoa whoa whoa wait what's going on here.
R-Type SMS And Its Special Level Disappearing From Virtual Console
- Just as Irem's R-Type
makes its way to Android devices, the Sega Master System version of the side-scrolling shoot'em up has disappeared from Wii's Virtual Console, along with the port's exclusive level.
Anti-Piracy Mario Is Sick Of Your BS, Wants Answers
- "The smile melts from Mario's face as he flips over the table in the middle of the room, slaps the pirate to the ground, and glares at him with the accusing face you see above. The gloves come off. Mario's real voice -- a raspy baritone with a hint of a Boston accent -- demands, 'Did you or did you not download my games from sweet-illegal-roms dot com?'"
Dark Souls Features Hilarious, Pro Wrestling-Styled Entrance Animation
- Apparently, if you invade another player's in-progress game with the intent of killing them, you can mimic a background object and burst forth with this imposing entrance animation using a well-timed emote.
When The Local News And Sonic Adventure 2 Merges
- "Other than video games, my one true love is local television. Primarily cable access and the local news. So whenever the two occasionally gets together, like in this clip, I'm in heaven."