The 2016 Game Developers Conference is weeks away, and with that in mind organizers want to give you the lowdown on all the cool interactive spaces and exhibits attendees will have access to during the March event.
Encompassing everything from tabletop games to Train Jam game jam prototypes and the world's leading lineup of alternative controller games, the interactive spaces at GDC are designed to introduce you to a broad slice of the most interesting work being done by game developers from across the industry.
So while you're putting together your GDC 2016 session schedule in the Schedule Builder, don't forget to set some time aside to check out the variety of lounges, exhibits, and other events that will be happening across the Moscone Center throughout the week. Highlights include:
- alt.ctrl.GDC - The perenially popular alt.ctrl.GDC showcase of alternative controller games returns to GDC for the third year running, bringing with it a lineup of 20 games played with unique, offbeat controllers that attendees can check out for themselves on the show floor.
- Day of the Devs - GDC organizers are also welcoming a special on-site GDC edition of Day Of The Devs, the indie video game showcase from Double Fine and long-time GDC collaborators, iam8bit. The curated selection of games will be announced soon and will include a wide range of intriguing, innovative & smart titles from some of the industry's leading creators - and some surprises, too.
- Indie MEGABOOTH - The Indie MEGABOOTH Showcase, an approachable GDC show floor exhibit of hand-picked indie games, returns for GDC 2016. As always, The MEGABOOTH exists to support indie developers and help pool their resources to enable them to showcase their work to the public and their peers.
- Mild Rumpus - Amid the hustle and bustle of your GDC experience, take a moment to relax and enjoy Mild Rumpus, a space (pictured) to check out beautifully soothing indie videogames in comfort approaching that of your own living room.
- Shut Up & Sit Down - This tabletop game exhibit, curated by the keen minds behind board game enthusiast hub Shut Up & Sit Down, returns to offer GDC attendees a comfortable space to relax and play some of the best card and board games around.
- Train Jam - GDC officials are proud to once again support the efforts of those taking part in the third annual Train Jam (which takes place on a train between Chicago and San Francisco the week prior to GDC) by providing a dedicated space at the show where organizers will be displaying select games made during the jam.
These events and more should offer attendees plenty of stuff to stop and check out between sessions. Stay tuned for more announcements about the show in the weeks ahead, and don't miss the opportunity to save money now by registering for the conference early -- the deadline to register for passes at a discounted rate is Wednesday, February 3rd, 2016.
GDC 2016 itself will take place March 14-18th at the Moscone Center in San Francisco. For more information on GDC 2016, visit the show's official website, or subscribe to regular updates via Facebook, Twitter, or RSS.
Gamasutra and GDC are sibling organizations under parent UBM Tech.