informa
News

Report: Just 10 Publishers Claim Over Half Of Top 300 Paid iPhone Games

Mobile application analytics company Distimo has released a new mobile gaming trends report, noting that just 10 publishers account for more than half of all downloads in the top 300 most popular paid games for iPhone.
Mobile application analytics company Distimo has released a new mobile gaming trends report, noting that just 10 publishers account for more than half of all downloads in the top 300 most popular paid games for iPhone. The Mobile Gaming Trends: Popularity, Pricing and Monetization report takes into account a wide range of mobile app stores, including the Apple App Store, Blackberry App World, Google Android Marketplace and the Windows Phone 7 Marketplace. During last month in the U.S., the average selling price of mobile games declined by 28 percent compared to the same month last year. However, revenue from the top freemium iPhone games increased tenfold. Overall the total revenue generated by the top grossing games in the Apple App Store increased by 79 percent year-on-year, according to the report. Virtual currencies in mobile games are a huge driving force for popularity of apps, with 35 percent of the top 300 free games in the Apple App Store using in-app purchases as their monetization model. Comparing apps versus games in the Apple App Store, the report noted that 72 percent of App Store downloads are games, while the other 28 percent are regular applications. A report earlier in the week from mobile analytics firm Flurry found that the average in-app purchase through games on iOS and Android platforms is worth $14.

Latest Jobs

Sucker Punch Productions

Bellevue, Washington
08.27.21
Combat Designer

Xbox Graphics

Redmond, Washington
08.27.21
Senior Software Engineer: GPU Compilers

Insomniac Games

Burbank, California
08.27.21
Systems Designer

Deep Silver Volition

Champaign, Illinois
08.27.21
Senior Environment Artist
More Jobs   

CONNECT WITH US

Register for a
Subscribe to
Follow us

Game Developer Account

Game Developer Newsletter

@gamedevdotcom

Register for a

Game Developer Account

Gain full access to resources (events, white paper, webinars, reports, etc)
Single sign-on to all Informa products

Register
Subscribe to

Game Developer Newsletter

Get daily Game Developer top stories every morning straight into your inbox

Subscribe
Follow us

@gamedevdotcom

Follow us @gamedevdotcom to stay up-to-date with the latest news & insider information about events & more