A few months ago I downloaded every score from Metacritic and made some graphs. And then I made some more. And then more.
This is an abridged collection of the first three volumes of what I call the MetaCritique Graphs.
Unfortunately I can't include the full interactive graphs here on my Gamasutra blog so this post is full of links to the original three articles on SplitScreen. It's worth checking out the interactive versions which you can tinker and play with and laugh and learn to love.
So gather round and lookit at these here pretty graphs!
Vol.1: Ratings and The Inner Circle
The 7-9 Scale: Fact or Fiction
The Inner Circle
Publishers: Big Fish and Little Fish
Vol. 1 also includes interactive searching of:
- The 7-9 Scale: Year Filtering
- Growing Consensus Among Game Reviewers
- Perceived Modern Video Game Review Scale
- Publishers & Their MetaScores: The Little Fish
- Releases by year, quarter, months and days
Vol.2: Names and Games
Most Common Names of All Video Games
Vol. 2 includes fully zoomable word clouds of:
- Most Common Names of Games: Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Wii and PC
- Most Common Names of ESRB Rated Games: Everyone, Teen and Mature
Vol.3: Console Wars!
Phased Introductions of the Next Generation
The Genre, Rating and Release Console Breakdown
Vol. 3 also includes interactive hovertips:
So, yeah... that happened.